All Film and Digital Times Issues
10th Anniversary Edition
The first issue of Film and Digital Times was a 16 page newsletter. Ten years later, Film in the title has mostly evolved from origination to procedure. It’s still filmmaking and it’s still a film even if it’s being shot with digital cameras. What follows is a somewhat opinionated, regrettably not all-inclusive, whirlwind ride that tries to summarize the past 10 years in a few pages. It’s a historical timeline of technique, technology, art, and practical production—with a diverse cast of characters and a cavalcade of companies. It’s a fun reunion. read more…
- Double Issue – IBC Special
- Lighting with Paint on a Starry Night
- Van Gogh’s Gaffer
- Starry Nights, No Light, Moonlight, Low Light.
- New no-low/low-light cameras.
- Canon ME20F-SH (C-Impossible)
- NEW SONY FS5
- Aaton-Digital Cantar X3
- Alexa Mini Transvideo Monitor
- Leica Q (Typ 116) Code Name Hemingway
- Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Cameras on Mythbusters
- Tour of the ARRI Lighting Factory
- Interview Winfried Scherle, ZEISS Exec VP
- Tour of ZEISS Factory & Museum
- Interview with Jarred Land, President of RED
- Sony a7RII.
- DaVinci for DPs: Desqueezing Anamorphic
- Cooke 65 mm Macro Anamorphic
- VariCam 35 Anamorphic on “Monolith”
- Garcia’s Guide to Surviving Episodic Focus
- Tiffen Burbank Technical Center
- Tour of Tiffen Steadicam Factory
- Codex V-RAW, Codex VR, Codex Production Suite
Subscribers: Download 120 page PDF (21 MB)
Mid Year Cine Gear Big Edition Online, On Paper and at our Cine Gear Expo 2015 Booth 53A. Cover: Johan Hellsten and his new Vario 5 Easrig.
- Bigger Sensors, FF 24×36, Next Lens Mounts
- Masaya Maeda, Managing Director of Canon
- RED Full Frame (20×40 mm) 8K
- Cine Lenses that Fill Full Frame
- Hawk65 from Vantage Film
- New Cooke Anamorphic at Cine Gear
- Blackmagic URSA Mini, Steadicam M-1
- Dan May, President of Blackmagic Design
- Tour of ARRI Alexa Mini Factory
- Matt Danilowicz, CEO Vitec Videocom
- Roger Deakins, ASC, BSC gets Award at Cannes
- Claudio Miranda, ASC (Tomorrowland), Rob Hardy, BSC (Ex Machina), Gavin Finney, BSC (Wolf Hall)
This is a double issue, online and on paper
- Birdman: Or (The Unexpected Virtue of an 18mm)
- ARRI ALEXA Mini
- ARRI ALEXA SXT
- DaVinci for DPs
- George Richmond on Kingsman
- Darius Wolski, ASC on Exodus
- Ben Smithard, BSC on 2nd Best Exotic Marigold Hotel
- New lenses, lights, cameras, cranes, NAB gear
Leica Spring 2015 Special Edition
A limited number of printed copies available. Pay for shipping and handling only. Click “Order Print Edition” below.
Newly updated Spring 2015 Edition. This is the free online PDF version of the printed copies handed out at NAB and available in the LA Leica Gallery. (previous edition was Photokina 2014). 126 pages.
Perhaps lured by the glamor and excitement of the movies, dreams of exotic locations, and life outside the laboratory, Oskar Barnack built a 35mm motion picture camera in 1912.
Oskar Barnack wrote, “I joined the Ernst Leitz Optical Works in Wetzlar. Here my responsibilities included, among other things, motion picture technology. I designed my first motion picture camera in 1912 and pretty soon I was headed in the right direction because of the fine grain of motion picture film. A postcard size enlargement from a motion picture frame was quite acceptable. It is really true that, the larger the picture, the more plastic and realistic its effect.
“For that purpose the motion picture frame was too small. Since regular film unfortunately was not permitted to become wider because of the wonderful invention of standardization, I had to employ as much feasible length in order to make optimum use of it. Right off, I tried to double the frame width and what do you know, it worked out very well; that is, 24 mm wide and 36 mm long. That is how the Leica format came to be.”
In 1924, Ernst Leitz approved production of Barnack’s Leica format 24 x 36mm still camera. His famous words, “I hereby decide: let’s risk it,” was pretty risky at the time, although there is some speculation that the meeting had dragged on for hours and Mr. Leitz was eager for lunch.
The prototype “Liliput” camera, as Barnack called it, would later be referred to as the “Ur-Leica.” But why was Barnack’s Ur-Leica developed and his motion picture camera remained a singular model, now prominently on display in the lobby of Leica Camera’s new headquarters in Wetzlar?
Dr. Andreas Kaufmann, Chairman of Leica and a former history professor, thinks it was a matter of economics at a time of massive inflation. Mechau’s projector was extremely expensive. In 1911, the famous Bell & Howell 2709 was introduced: hand-cranked, cast aluminum, 4-lens turret with rackover for focus and viewing.
It would be another hundred years for Leica Camera to get back to 35mm motion pictures with their Leica Summilux-C and Summicron-C lenses—the subject of this special report.
Best viewed in Adobe Acrobat with View-Page Display set to Two Page View, and Show Cover Page in Two Page View. © 2015 Film and Digital Times.
February 2015 Issue 66-67.
- Anthony Dod Mantle’s Customized Gear
- Panasonic VariCam 35 Factory Tour
- Kunihiko Miyagi and Takahiro Mitsui on VariCam 35
- Factory Tour of AJA, Jon Thorn and Nick Rashby on CION
- Hiroshi Kiriyama on Sony Cameras
- Sony Doc Dock and F55/F5 v5.0 Updates
- Fujifilm Fujinon Factory Tour
- Canon 50-1000 T5.0 – 8.9 Zoom Lens
- InterBEE, IBC, Photokina, Cinec
- Leica at Photokina
- and lots more
PDF Downloads best viewed in Adobe Acrobat 2-page view, show cover page.
Subscribers: click DOWNLOAD (36 MB)
Low Resolution version: click LO-REZ (17 MB) read more…
IBC 2014 Edition
Delivered free at IBC on paper and online. Print editions have shipped to subscribers. Online PDF edition for subscribers.
- ARRI AMIRA Factory Tour
- Sony’s New “Minima” PXW-FS7
- Blackmagic DaVinci Resolve 11
- Leica Still Moving Pictures
- Interviews with Stephan Schenk and Walter Trauninger of ARRI,
- Interviews with AJA’s Nick Rashby
- New ZEISS lenses and servo
- New Angénieux 30-72 Anamorphic
- Lucy and the Tiffen Filter Factory
- Tour of Ronford-Baker Factory
This free PDF download is a compilation of articles from our IBC and Cinec Editions. Free paper copies at Camerimage only.
ARRI Factory Tour: Alexa 65 Camera and Lens System. Codex Vault Lab 65. Also: Amira, Alexa, Accessories, ARRI/ZEISS Master Anamorphics, and more. read more…
Alexa 65 Special
ALEXA 65 is a new, large format 65mm digital motion picture camera from ARRI. Imagine an ALEXA (35mm) camera with a sensor that is 3 times larger. It has a familiar ALEXA body style, about the same size and weight, a little bit wider, with a digital 65mm format sensor and new 65mm lenses. Film and Digital Times 36-page special report online.
Paper copies only at Cinec and at local launches of ALEXA 65. read more…
Here: Cine Gear Edition
16 MB PDF Edition Ready to Download Now
Print Edition shipped week of June 1
- Preston Light Ranger 2
- Blackmagic URSA
- AJA CION
- Leica T, Leica Back in Wetzlar
- ARRI Amira
- Sony F55 Doc Dock, Sony a7S
- How to Desqueeze Anamorphic
- Interviews with Blackmagic’s Dan May
- Interview with Canon’s Y. Imaoka and T. Hibi
- Interview with AJA’s Jon Thorn
- Scorpiolens Anamorphics
- Camtec Vintage Prime Lens Test
- Depth of Field in Anamorphic Cinematography
96-pages of the best of NAB 2014
Now online and on paper
- ARRI Amira Jumpstart – a Bluffers Guide to staying out of trouble in the ARRI booth
- Visit to Cooke Optics Factory in Leicester, England
- Interviews with the Cooke Anamorphic lens designers
- New lenses from Angenieux, Canon, Leica, Fujinon, and ZEISS
- Sony F5/F55 Updates
- Download free 12-page preview
- Subscribers: Download 15 MB PDF
Best viewed with Adobe Acrobat or Reader in 2-page view, show cover page.
Current Issue: Feb 2014
80-page Double Issue
Year-End Issue Now Online
48 Pages now online. Paper edition ships this week.
Double Issue 55-56
Online and on paper.
96 Page Double Issue: Canon C500 Cover Story, Lots of New Lenses (anamorphic and spherical), Still Moving Pictures with Leica, Blackmagic 4K Camera, History of Angénieux, Tour of RED Factory, camera updates, rigs, mounts, lens metadata, accessories…
PDF Editions look best with Adobe Acrobat set to: View – Page Display – Two Page View – and – Show Cover Page in Two Page View.
Angénieux Special Report
The Angénieux company has been designing and building motion picture lenses for more than 78 years. This special report follows a time-line of Angénieux’s history, from its founding by Pierre Angénieux in the 1930s to the new lenses that continue to be developed today.
PDF Editions look best with Adobe Acrobat set to: View – Page Display – Two Page View – and – Show Cover Page in Two Page View. 8 MB PDF Download.
Cannes + Cine Gear
Online and On Paper.
FDTimes anamorphic edition, NAB after-party and the Cannes + Cine Gear mid-year celebration of new cameras, lenses, lights and accessories.
Premiere of Preston Cinema Systems MDR3, Charts of Anamorphic lenses from Angenieux, ARRI/ZEISS, Cooke Optics, Hawk, Panavision, Servicevision Scorpiolens.
PDF Editions look best with Adobe Acrobat set to: View – Page Display – Two Page View – and – Show Cover Page in Two Page View. 14 MB PDF Download.
On paper and online.
What’s inside? Lots of lenses. New Cameras. More K and 4K. Filters and Facts. Ways to connect cameras, recorders, rigs and accessories. Things to move cameras, to illuminate, and ways to stand out. Rumors revealed. New Angénieux and Cooke Anamorphics. New Phantom 4K Highspeed Camera…
Micro Salon & BSC Show
February 2013 Film and Digital Times Issue 52 Print Edition shipping and online now for subscribers.
FDTimes On Paper, Online, and now On iPad
- Cooke Look Defined, French Cinematheque
- Vantage One T1, Master Anamorphic in Paris
- ARRIRAW Inside, Alexa XR, Alexa XT
- The Decisive Moment – Leica M
- Transvideo Rainbow HD, Clairmont In-Camera
- Angénieux 19.5-94 and 28-340 Optimos
- Fujinon PL Premier Cabrio Zooms
- Using Preston with Fujinon Cabrios
- 135 mm Primes, InEmitable, Schneider Primes
- Sony F5-F55 AKS, Nikon D600, Canon 6D
- Denz, iDC Photo Video, Easyfocus, Ros Bot
- Cinetech Italiana, Adam Wilt’s Cine Meter
- Darius Khondji, Lighting with Paint, Reflections
Sony F5 – F55 Booklet v5.5
Updated (v5.5) on Feb 27 with latest revisions and software versions of Sony F5 and F55 cameras. This is a free online edition only. We are not printing on paper.
The Film and Digital Times Sony F5 and F55 Special Report is not an official Sony document. This latest update is an “Unofficial Biography of the F5 and F55 as it is about to ship.”
Note–there may be some additions or corrections to SxS Card information…
Free 96-page PDF (14 MB) Download. Best viewed in Acrobat as “2-page view, show cover page.”
IBC & Worldwide Edition
- Making of Taylor Swift Music Video
- Roger Deakins, ASC on Skyfall
- ARRI/ZEISS Anamorphics
- Leica Summilux-C Factory Tour
- Denis Rouden, AFC on Alexa Anamorphic
- A Guide to Hawk Anamorphics
- A Cooke Look Back
- New ZEISS Lenses, and new products from Transvideo, Litepanels, Shape, Aaton, Denz, Dedo, Matthews, bebob, Vocas, Codex, 3ality Technica, Chrosziel, and more
Cine Gear Mid-Year
- Black-and-White: Leica Monochrom M
- New Steadicam Exovest
- New Fujinon Cabrio, New Angénieux Zooms
- 4K Cameras, Monitors, Recorders
- After-NAB Review
- Cine Gear Mid-Year Gear
- Anamorphic Lenses Coming
NAB 2012 Mid-Year Gear Report: 96 Pages
- First Sony F65 Feature: After Earth
Interviews with Director M. Night Shyamalan and DP Peter Suschitsky, ASC, BSC
- Practical 4K Workflows on Features and Docs
- F65 Jumpstart Guide
- New Cameras, DSLRs, Lenses, Accessories, New Finders, Anamorphic
- The Look of Midnight in Paris
- Jumpstart Guides to the Canon C300, ARRI Alexa, RED Scartlet-X
- Moving Hugo, with Bob Richardson, ASC, Rob Legato, Chris Centrella, Larry McConkey, Demetri Portelli, Gregor Tavenner, Howard Preston, Jean-Marie Lavalou, Laurent Mannoni
- Thirty Years of EMIT. From Australia: The Shadowcatchers
Special Year-End and IBC Gear Wrap Up
- Cover Story: Canon Cinema EOS System
- Canon C300 35mm Cameras
- EXT. 20,000 ISO – Night
- New ZEISS Anamorphic Lenses, Compact Zoom, CP .2 Primes
- Exclusive Interviews: Angenieux, Leica, Canon
- Lighting with Paint: Pieter de Hooch and The Green Screen is Always Greener
- Bouquets to Bokehs
- Filming in France, Helsinki, Hollywood, New York, Hogwarts
- Rental Houses: Vantage in Paris, Weiden, Prague; Photo Cine Rent in Paris; FGV Schmidle in Munich and Berlin; Cam-a-lot and Camera Rentals in Amsterdam; Anand Cine Service in India
Mid-Year Gear Report
- NAB2011 Wrap and Wrap-Up
- 4K, More K
- New Cameras, Lenses, Lights, Support, AKS
- Denny Clairmont
- Every Frame a Rembrandt
Journey to Japan
- Tour of Sony. Atsugi Tech Center. Sony Semiconductor Kumamoto Fab
- Sony CineAlta 4K+ Camera. F65 Introduction
- SRMaster SRMemory.
- Sony F3 Updates.
- Sony NXCAM Super35 NEX-FS100, NXCAM Sand and Spray Sony HXR-NX70.
- Fujifilm FinePix X100.
Made in France
- AFC Micro Salon
- Angénieux 75th Anniversary
- Birth of Cinematography
Whole FDTimes Catalog
- Cine Gear 2010
- NAB 2010 Review
- Lighting with Paint
Fall Show Previews
- NAB 2010 Preview
- Lighting with Paint
- AFC Micro Salon
- Micro Salon 2010 Report
- The Making of “Oceans”
IBC Wrap-Up Online Edition
IBC Special USA Edition
- 1 Perf, 2 Perf, 3 Perf, 4. 2-Perf Aaton Penelope
- ARRI BLUE One, Two, Three
- Cooke Look 5/i, Panchro/i. Canon EOS 7D, Canon PL Mount 50D
- Hot Rod PL Mount and Lenses. Fujinon 18-85mm T2.0
- Transvideo TitanHD.
- Lighting with Paint
CINE GEAR to New Year Special 2010 Online Report
- Angénieux, Aaton, Abel Cine Tech, Avenger, ARRI, Backpack Journalism,
- Band Pro, 16×9 Inc., Bogen, Canon, Cartoni, Century, Chrosziel, Cooke,
- Dedo Weigert, Focus Optics, Formatt Filters, Fujinon, JVC, Kata,
- Kino Flo, Litepanels, Lowel, Manfrotto, OConnor, P+S TECHNIK, Panasonic,
- Petrol, Sachtler, Schneider, SONY, S.two, Steadicam, Tiffen, Transvideo,
- UniqOptics, Vantage Film, Vision Research, ZEISS
- George Eastman House
- 3D Cinematography
- New PL Mount Lenses. New Cameras
- Accessories. Support. Sci-Tech Awards
- Lighting and More
- Lighting with Paint
- Banjin by Andrew Laszlo, ASC
- Canon Tour in Japan. Canon Vixia HF S10
- Camaras y Luces, Argentina
- Tandem Receiver. Rendezvous Reverse
2008 Year in Review
Double Edition with Cinec 2008 Wrap-up
- ZEISS Cine Lens Day. Visit to ZEISS Factory.
- Lighting with Paint: The Picture Merchant
- P+S Technik Tour
- Vantage and Hawk Tour
NAB, CINE GEAR, MID YEAR
Holiday Double Edition
- Lighting with Paint
- ARRIMAX and Maxmover
- Lenses, Light and Grip at Cinec
- Transvideo 4 inch Starlight Monitor
- Zeiss, Digis, Masters, and Ultras
- Cinematographer Style Film & DVD
IBC, CINEC and NYCDES Editon
- Lighting with Paint
- Lighting is Overrated
- Focus Issues with HD and SD
- Panavision Lenses
- Vantage Anamorphics
- Cool Tools
- BrainDrain for Batteries
- Arricam Depth
- Cinematographer Style Feature Documentary: 110 Interviews
- Lighting with Paint What’s wrong with this Jan de Hooch Picture?
- Depth of Field in Cinematography
- The Gods of Focus and Preston FI+Z Hand Unit3
- Back Focus and Zeiss Sharpmax
- One Chip or Three Chips?
Special NAB Supplement to American Cinematographer
SONY Z1 HDV Jumpstart