- Cooke S8/i T1.4 Full Frame Primes
- Kees van Oostrum, Cooke Chairman
- Iain Neil, Cooke Chief Optics Advisor
- RED V-RAPTOR Design
- Creative Solutions Accessories Design
- DSMC3 RED Touch / SmallHD 7.0″ LCD Monitor
- Vocas Support for RED V-RAPTOR & Level
- John Brawley, ACS on The Desperate Hour
- Rawlite OLPF for Blackmagic URSA Mini Pro 12K
- Atlas Lens Co. Orion Anamorphic Primes
- ARRI TRINITY 2, ARTEMIS 2, PCA for Sony VENICE 2
- ZEISS Supreme Prime 15 mm T1.8
- SP15 Rectilinear in Grand Central Station
- SIGMA 20mm F2 DG DN Contemporary I series Prime
- Leitz HENRI DP/Director’s Finder
- Kazuto Yamaki, CEO of SIGMA Corporation, on Supply Chain
- Steadicam M-2 Core Kit
- LEE Lighting and Camera Filters
- MYT Works Optiglide Reticle & PAT-ACC Charts
- Band Pro Lens Service
- Angénieux Integrated Optical Palette in Optimo Primes
- Swapping Optimo Prime IOP elements
- Sony a7 IV Focus Mapping. Breathing Compensation
- Breathless Sony 16-35 F4 Zoom
- Nanlux Evoke 1200, Nanlite PavoTube T8-7X
- Canon EOS R5 C
- Bright Tangerine KASBAH System, Rangefinder Bracket
- AJA Io X3, Desktop Software v16.2
- Chrosziel Servo for Fujinon Premista
- DZOFILM FF 35-80 & 70-135 T2.9
- IDX V-Mount and Gold Mount Batteries
- Tilta Mirage Lightweight Mattebox with Wireless VND
- CINEPADS 7 Monitor
- Carstage in New York
- Preston Diopter, Dolly-Zoom, Expander, Updates
- Loumasystems News
- EMIT 40th Anniversary
Required reading for everyone in our company, shop, and rental departments”Otto Nemenz“
Just read your latest issue and I found it so facinating and well written. It was some of the best cinematography writing in recent history. Thank you.”Peter Lyons Collister, ASC“
The only thing to read for professional information”Alexander Bscheidl, Vantage Film“
I don’t know how I managed before without all the info of FDTimes”Philippe Ros, AFC, Member Imago Tech CommitteeView All Readers’ Comments
Jon Fauer’s Film and Digital Times is published on paper, online and on iPad roughly every two months. Depending on events, introductions and technological breakthroughs, we sometimes combine issues into larger editions. Join us for the adventure and subscribe online. We talk about products and procedures in practical production—here’s the job at hand: how do we use tools and techniques to get the results we want?
Film and Digital Times is an inside-the-industry look at the nuts and bolts of high-end prodcution: how-to and how not to, technique and technology, style and strategies, tips and trends for Cinematographers, Directors, Producers, Rental Houses, Manufacturers, Camera Assistants, Camera Operators, Photographers, Videographers, Gaffers, Grips, Students, and Faculty.
Jon Fauer, ASC is an award-winning cinematographer and director who has written 12 bestselling books, famous for their user-friendly way of explaining things as if you’re right there on location with him.
Over 120,000 of his books on cameras, cinematography, film and digital video have been printed. Think of this bimonthly Journal as Fauer’s next book — arriving a year early, with up-to-the minute information brought to you in episodic format.
- ZEISS SP15: Rectilinear in Grand Central Terminalread more...
- Designing Angénieux Optimo Ultra CompactsClément Mondésert is the Project Manager for Angénieux Optimo Ultra Compact Zooms. He started at Thales LAS France in Saint-Héand three years ago, first as project manager for head-up displays and small zooms for helicopters and drones. Clément joined the glamour and excitement of the cine team about a year ago. We discussed the new Angénieux Optimo Ultra Compact 37-102 Full Frame Zoom. read more...
- John Brawley, ACS, URSA 12K, “Desperate Hour”"The Desperate Hour" is one of the first features where a Blackmagic URSA Mini Pro 12K was the “A” camera. Actually, there were four URSA 12K cameras on the film. Cinematographer John Brawley, ACS discusses cameras, Supreme Prime and Angénieux lenses, lighting, equipment and more. "The Desperate Hour" was directed by Phillip Noyce and stars Naomi Watts. read more...
- Si Bell on “A Very British Scandal”Happy Boxing Day, Sunday Dec 26, 2021. "A Very British Scandal" premieres today on BBC One in the UK. Si Bell’s previous appearance in FDTimes was February 2020 in which he talked about his work on Peaky Blinders. Si Bell discusses the film: "A Very British Scandal stars Claire Foy and Paul Bettany. It’s about the Duchess and Duke of Argyll in the 1960s. Quite dramatic, it was about their very messy divorce and it was one of the first times a woman was really shamed by the mass media because she was a celebrity..." read more...
- Estelle McGechie, ATOMOS CEOA Business of the Business conversation with Estelle McGechie, Chief Executive Officer of ATOMOS. Among many topics, Estelle talked about democratization: "ATOMOS makes high quality, professional, cost-effective products to democratize filmmaking, game streaming, and all other forms of content creation. ATOMOS has evolved the core product line to develop next-generation, adaptable, multi-function devices. Our products help our creative customers access the same high-quality options that are required by Hollywood blockbuster productions. That we can make that technology affordable and put it in the hands of every filmmaker is very important to our vision of democratization." read more...
- Angenieux Ultra Compact Zoom ShipsThis contradicts FDTimes’ axiom of 9 months from first product sighting to first delivery. Announced at Cannes in July, presented in New York by Band Pro in September, Angénieux begins shipping the first 37-102 Full Frame Optimo Ultra Compact Zoom lenses from their factory in Saint-Héand. The 37-102 will be followed by a 21-56 mm Ultra Compact Zoom. So, the... read more...
- Micro Salon Italia 2021Micro Salon Italia was back, after its last appearance in 2019. It just a few days after Amsterdam’s IBC was cancelled and BSC postponed to April 2022 due to the possible surge of the new variant in Europe. The Roman event was held at Ragusa-Off, an 11,000 sq m city bus depot built in 1929 and recently revamped as a trade show location. This year’s Micro Salon Italia had 42 local and foreign exhibitors: Sony, Fujifilm, Canon, Cartoni, De Sisti Lighting, D-Vision & Movie People, Leica, Leitz, K5600, Angénieux, and Trans Audio Video (TAV), just to mention a few. read more...
- Gear Expo Tokyo 2021Text and photos by Arato Ogura. Gear Expo Tokyo Show & Workshop was held at Toho Godzilla Studios on December 3 and 4. The event was co-hosted by JSC (Japan Society of Cinematographers) and JSL (Japan Society of Lighting Directors). The mornings were used for equipment demos and trials.Each manufacturer was given time to explain their products on stage. The afternoons had workshops led by JSC and JSL instructors. A small set was prepared and had actors, showing actual camera movement and focusing techniques, while the lighting department was explaining wireless lighting control and LED technology. read more...
- What lenses fit ARRI’s next S35 4K camera?Will standard 35mm lenses (before Open Gate era) cover ARRI's next, new Super35 camera? ARRI Camera Systems Product Manager Marc Shipman-Mueller was kind enough to elucidate. "Yes, the sensor has almost the same dimensions as the ALEXA Mini Sensor," Marc said. "I think that is an important feature of this camera. We want to make sure that our customers' extensive investment in Super35 glass is protected. Without giving away too much, we have a 4K (4096) 16:9 recording mode for spherical lenses that has a diagonal of 28.55 mm and a 6:5 recording mode for 2x anamorphic lenses that has a diagonal of 27.39 mm. Both fulfill the 4K mandate." read more...
- Cooke Tour 2020This was my 4th tour of Cooke Optics in Leicester, England. The factory has come a long way since previous visits in 2006, 2009 and 2013. It is now a state-of-the-art, modern facility with clean rooms, the latest machines, and many more technicians. As Les Zellan described it, “The glass manufacturing area is cleaner and neater and there are many... read more...
- ZEISS Supreme Primes Special ReportFDTimes Factory Tour and Special Report about the new ZEISS Supreme Prime lenses. Download 44-page 11MB (high rez) PDF. ZEISS Supreme Primes cover a FULL FORMAT image area up to 46.3 mm diagonal. They are incredibly small, lightweight and fast. The focus barrel has a unique, advanced square helical thread that is as smooth as cams and even more rugged. There are 13 lenses planned so far. read more...
- SmallHD Cine 18 Monitorread more...
- Phantom Droll Booth – FDTimes at NABFDTimes will be at NAB 2022. Pick up copies of the April 2022 edition in the publication bin at the entrance to Central Hall. Make yourself at home in our unoccupied FDTimes booth # C6244. But, unfortunately I will not be there nor will it be staffed. Too busy preparing the June 2022 edition. See you soon! read more...
- Canon 20-50 & 45-135 T2.4 FF Zooms
Canon announces "the launch of a new series of lenses for the company’s EF Cinema Lens lineup — the Flex Zoom Lens series." Watch what they say: "The first lenses in the series are the CN-E20-50mm T2.4 L F/FP wide-angle zoom lens and the CN-E45-135mm T2.4 L F/FP telephoto zoom lens." Does "first lenses in the series" mean that more Full-Frame Zooms are on the way? I would guess yes. You won't have to flex your muscles to work with these new Canon Flex Zoom Lenses. They are very light (less than 7.5 lb / 3.4 kg). They are very compact: shorter than 9.7" / 246.4 mm. And they are amazingly fast for compact Full-Frame zooms: T2.4 maximum aperture for both, without ramping. The Flex zooms come in EF or PL mount, designated by the product name of F for EF, and FP for PL. The EF mount provides electronic shading and chromatic aberration correction when used on Canon's EOS R5 C with an EOS RF-to-EF mount adapter. The PL mount has the latest /i3 Technology.read more...
- DJI Ronin 4D 6K UpdatesHere are additions and changes to the FDTimes November 2021 report on DJI’s Ronin 4D. New firmware, when the camera ships soon, will let you: Use the Remote Monitor to view and control the main monitor interface with “Mirror Control Mode.” Stream a clean video feed via HDMI and SDI ports on the Remote Monitor Expansion Plate with no overlaid... read more...
- Otto Nemenz gets 37-102 Ultra CompactFaster than you can say, "Otto Nemenz," this photo just arrived. Band Pro delivered one of the first Angénieux Optimo Ultra Compact 37-102 Full Frame Zoom lenses in the Americas to Otto Nemenz International yesterday. Above, left right: Amnon Band, Alex Wengert, Otto Nemenz with 37-102, Dan Lopez, Fritz Heinzle. read more...
- Canon EOS R5 CYou spot it right away. On the front, it says EOS C. C as in Cinema. On the left side, there's a big red shutter/start-stop button. The Canon EOS R5 C Full-Frame hybrid video and stills, mirrorless, RF-mount 8K camera is here. From the front, the R5 C looks very similar to the R5, which launched on July 9, 2020. If you said that the R5 was essentially a remarkable 45 megapixel still camera that also did 8K video, well, the new R5 C is a remarkable 45 megapixel camera equally adept at both stills and video. read more...
- Easyrig’s new STABIL LightEasyrig’s new STABIL Light is a spring-loaded arm that smooths your moves while working with an Easyrig Minimax. It supports cameras and gimbals from 2 to 7 kg. This includes many of the newer, lighter, smaller packages: ALEXA Mini, Mini LF; Sony FX6, FX9; Canon C300, C599; RED V-RAPTOR, KOMODO; DJI Ronin 4D, etc. Easyrig Minimax is a vest and backpack with shock absorber that supports your camera weightlessly from a fixed bracket overhead. STABIL Light is the accessory L-shaped, spring-adjustable overhead support that replaces Minimax’s rigid arm. With Minimax alone, the camera would move up and down as you walk or run. With Minimax + STABIL Light, up and down movement is absorbed. So, when the script calls for the camera to follow the good guys chasing the bad guys along a narrow path through a dense forest, Minimax + STABIL Light + gimbal + camera will glide you smoothly through the scene. read more...
- Blackmagic URSA 12K Camera Update 7.7Blackmagic URSA Mini Pro 12K gets an update. Blackmagic Camera 7.7 Update provides improved color balance, improved demosaicing for better shadow detail, improved demosaicing to reduce moire effects on fine patterns, improved USB-C camera connections and Blackmagic RAW 2.2.1. URSA Mini Pro 12K's sensor performance is improved with adjustments to its demosaicing algorithm to offer a more neutral color balance and enhanced clarity in shadow areas. Blackmagic Camera 7.7 update for URSA Mini Pro 12K provides a more neutral color balance for better skin tones and a natural highlight rolloff. read more...
- Configuring KOMODOLike a Lonely Planet geeky guidebook, not as amusing as Mark Twain’s The Innocents Abroad, less strenuous than Survivor, here is a quirky travel guide of a RED KOMODO’s journey to Film and Digitial Times. The accessories and methods listed here are not comprehensive. In fact, they are the result of things that happened to be shipped, arrived and tried. (This article first appeared in FDTimes Aug 2021 Issue 109, pages 32-44.) Download the PDF (2 MB). read more...
- Sony VENICE 2 Report – older versionFour years and nine days after the original VENICE camera first launched five miles from Venice Beach, at Sony Pictures Culver City, VENICE 2 arrives in 6K and 8K. Except for a completely flat base with big air vents, they look very similar to the original VENICE. The design is clean and understated. Not understated is the performance of this camera. Sixteen stops of exposure latitude retain highlights and reveal shadow detail. Skin tones are smooth and gentle. Images are elegant, natural, with a quality that seem almost tactile and impossibly three-dimensional. If you have used the original VENICE, the learning curve is almost instantaneous. This is a familiar friend. Download the free 64-page VENICE 2 Special Report (8 MB PDF) by FDTimes. SUBSCRIBERS: Download the high resolution 64-page VENICE 2 Special Report (22 MB PDF) by FDTimes. read more...
FDTimes 96-page April 2022 Edition. Paper Edition shipping now.
Print-it-yourself 32 MB PDF download for Subscribers. Free Access button below for 16 MB PDF Edition.
Best with Adobe Acrobat Reader, 2-page view, show cover page; or Apple Preview, View>Two Pages.
Film & Digital Times is made possible through the generous support of subscribers like you, and with grants from the following companies.
Content is in no way linked to sponsorship. We write about the things we use.