- Print editions printing now and mailing soon.
- Print-it-yourself 36 MB PDF via login for Subscribers.
- Click the Free Access button (below) for 16 MB PDF Complimentary Edition.
- Set Adobe Acrobat Reader to: 2-page view, show cover page. Set Apple Preview to: View>2 pages.
- SmallHD Ultra 7 Monitor
- ZEISS Nano Primes (NP) – E-mount
- RED V-RAPTOR [X] & V-RAPTOR XL [X]
- Cooke SP3 on Sony FX3
- Maxime Cointe on Lupin Season 3
- Blackmagic URSA Mini Pro 12K OLPF
- Blackmagic Cinema Camera 6K – L Mount
- SIGMA L-Mount DG DN Lenses
- SIGMA Headquarters in Kawasaki, Japan
- Canon CN-R RF Mount Cine Lenses
- Canon RF24-105mm F2.8 L IS USM Z
- Canon EOS R5 C
- ARRI 360 EVO Stabilized Remote
- Nanlux Wired Controller/FL-28 Fresnel
- DJI 8K Inspire 3
- DJI 8K Ronin 4D 8K
- Godox | Knowled MG2400Bi
- Cartoni Spinhead
- Laowa Pro2be
- Nikon Z 9
- Leitz ELSIE Primes
- Nikon Engineers Discuss the Z 8 Camera
- Fujifilm GFX100 II
- C. Kim Miles, ASC, CSC on The Brothers Sun
- Cheng Seng Group
- Band Pro – Passing the Mic
- The Life of Trevor
Required reading for everyone in our company, shop, and rental departments”Otto Nemenz“
Just read your latest issue and I found it so facinating and well written. It was some of the best cinematography writing in recent history. Thank you.”Peter Lyons Collister, ASC“
The only thing to read for professional information”Alexander Bscheidl, Vantage Film“
I don’t know how I managed before without all the info of FDTimes”Philippe Ros, AFC, Member Imago Tech CommitteeView All Readers’ Comments
Jon Fauer’s Film and Digital Times is published on paper, online and on iPad roughly every two months. Depending on events, introductions and technological breakthroughs, we sometimes combine issues into larger editions. Join us for the adventure and subscribe online. We talk about products and procedures in practical production—here’s the job at hand: how do we use tools and techniques to get the results we want?
Film and Digital Times is an inside-the-industry look at the nuts and bolts of high-end production: how-to and how not to, technique and technology, style and strategies, tips and trends for Cinematographers, Directors, Producers, Rental Houses, Manufacturers, Camera Assistants, Camera Operators, Photographers, Videographers, Gaffers, Grips, Students, and Faculty.
Jon Fauer, ASC is an award-winning cinematographer and director who has written 12 bestselling books, famous for their user-friendly way of explaining things as if you’re right there on location with him.
Over 120,000 of his books on cameras, cinematography, film and digital video have been printed. Think of this bimonthly Journal as Fauer’s next book — arriving a year early, with up-to-the minute information brought to you in episodic format.
- BSC Expo Feb 2024read more...
- Cine Gear Expo NYC 2024Who said New York is a tough town for motion picture trade shows? After a great launch last year, Cine Gear Expo NY returns to Industry City in Brooklyn New York on March 14-16. Register here—free through March 9. This is not a convention center where, to misquote Truffaut, if prisoners were forced to eat the food inside, they'd rebel. You will not go hungry in Industry City. In fact, you will want to linger longer and enjoy the area, sometimes called Brooklyn's playground or backyard. Industry City in Brooklyn is a trendy, interesting, fun 137-acre area with offices, shopping, events, dining and more. Japan Village has a huge Japanese market with food stalls, an Izakaya restaurant, sushi, sake and Japanese groceries. Moore Brothers Wine Company has some of the best selections in the city and is cooled to 55 degrees F. In between seminars and hands-on equipment exhibits at Cine Gear Expo NYC, wander around the businesses in Industry City. Buy a Volvo or Porsche. Furnish your home at West Elm or the Design Within Reach outlet store. Buy a computer, SSDs and media cards at Micro Center. read more...
- BSC Expo 2024 London – Feb 16-17See you at BSC Expo 2024 at Battersea Evolution in London on Feb 16-17. The Feb 2024 BSC Expo Printed Edition of Film and Digital Times will be there as well. BSC Expo in London is one of the most important events of the year to see and try the latest cine equipment. There will also be 2 days of presentations and panel discussions in the seminar theatre. read more...
- The Life of TrevorTrevor Steele passed away in Paris on Dec 20, 2023 He was a beloved, influential, innovative pillar of the cinema industry. Trevor was the center of attention, an optical centering, the life of the party wherever he went. He could explain technical details, and almost anything else, with great clarity, charm and wit. Andrew and Ben Steele sent a call out to friends and colleagues for WWW—When did you first meet Trevor, Why did you meet him, and What happened. The response was amazing, really a who’s who of the industry remembering a beloved colleague. read more...
- DJI Ronin 4D FlexDJI Senior Product Line Manager Paul Pan suggested trying the Ronin 4D Flex as one of the world’s smallest Full Frame 6K camera remote heads. And so Lucas, Prince of Darkness, rides again—so named for its 1992 vintage electrical system, "Darkness by Lucas," (a gentleman does not go motoring about at night.) read more...
- Preston All-Points Lens MappingGeographers and map-makers in the Dutch Golden Age worked at an intersection of art, science, commerce, engraving and publishing. They were in great demand. These vintage maps, like vintage lenses today, required careful updates as new routes were discovered and new waypoints found. Another industry flourished in the Netherlands of the 17th century— optics, grinding optical elements and manufacturing lenses. Although vintage cine lenses are decidedly not four centuries old, the two disciplines of lenses and mapping converge today, as Howard Preston explains Preston Cinema Systems’ new All-Points Lens Mapping. read more...
- C. Kim Miles ASC CSC on THE BROTHERS SUNGoing into The Brothers Sun, you might have imagined the studio pitch that sold it: “Michelle Yeoh is the star—it’s Sons of Crouching Tiger meet Everything Everywhere and Crazy Rich Triads.” The opening sequence of this Netflix gangster series quickly dispels any preconceptions. But we’re here to discuss cinematography, not spoilers, with C. Kim Miles, ASC. read more...
- SmallHD Factory TourImagine the inducements to visit SmallHD in Cary, North Carolina. Haute cuisine and haute technology, not in that order. For sure, we’re here to explore the high technology of SmallHD. It’s an easy 2-hour flight from New York’s newly renovated La Guardia Airport to Raleigh-Durham. You’re in Research Triangle territory and the campuses of Duke, UNC-Chapel Hill, and NC State University. Apple, Google, Toyota, IBM, Cisco, Amazon, Epic Games, Qualcomm and Red Hat are among the many high-tech companies neighboring high-tech SmallHD. read more...
- Cooke Tour 2020This was my 4th tour of Cooke Optics in Leicester, England. The factory has come a long way since previous visits in 2006, 2009 and 2013. It is now a state-of-the-art, modern facility with clean rooms, the latest machines, and many more technicians. As Les Zellan described it, “The glass manufacturing area is cleaner and neater and there are many... read more...
- 3/14/24 – 3/16/24Cine Gear Expo NYC 2024 in Industry City
Cine Gear Expo returns to NYC for 2nd year
- ZEISS Nano PrimesDownload the free FDTimes 20-page NP PDF Special Report excerpted from the February 2024 FDTimes edition, going online and on paper shortly. There are 6 focal lengths in the set: 18mm, 24mm, 35mm, 50mm, 75mm, and 100mm. Nano Primes come in E-mount. What, not PL or LPL? read more...
- RED V-RAPTOR [X] & V-RAPTOR XL [X] Global ShutterRED DIGITAL CINEMA announced new V-RAPTOR [X] 8K VV and V-RAPTOR XL [X] 8K VV cameras. Both models now have Full Frame VV global shutter sensors. RED introduced global shutter in October 2020 on the KOMODO which has a Super35 global shutter. With a global shutter, all the photosites of the sensor are exposed simultaneously. A global shutter is good when you're filming fast movement or explosions, fire, flashes, strobes, stunt sequences and even handheld work. With a rolling shutter, you might get artifacts from flashes, skewing and bending of objects. read more...
- Sony FX3 and Wooden Camera AccessoriesOnce upon a time, FDTimes wrote, "The Sony FX3 camera's cage-free design begs you to mount it anywhere—in all kinds of places where a single mounting point wouldn’t dare to thread. FX3 is free to range almost everywhere because it is small, light and ergonomic. I should have expected that calling it “cage-free” implied you don’t need a cage, and that is like asking a child not to jump in the nearest puddle. Of course there would be a cage and clever accessories—and they are now here from Wooden Camera.read more...
- SmallHD Ultra 7 MonitorThe new SmallHD Ultra 7 Monitor has buttons to summon up shortcuts. Weatherproof for bad weather. Rubber bumpers to endure mayhem. Joystick for when sticky craft-service donut-encrusted fingers don't want to touch the touchscreen. Ultra 7 has a 1920x1200 Quantum Dot LED Edge-Lit LCD Display that is extremely bright (2300 nits). It has 6G SDI and HDMI 2.0 in and out, up to 4K 60p. It can be powered by Gold or V-Mount batteries, or external power. read more...
- ARRI 360 EVO Stabilized Remote HeadARRI has launched the 360 EVO, the third iteration of their 3-axis stabilized remote heads. It has 360-degree rotation of the roll axis (and the pan axis), heavier duty construction (payloads up to 30 kg), and more remote control possibilities. It has a new, logical graphical user interface (GUI). Many accessories can be shared with the ARRI TRINITY 2. read more...
- ARRI TRINITY LiveTRINITY Live is an upgrade for ARRI's original 3-axis vest-mounted camera stabilizer. It includes new hardware, wiring, and connections intended mainly for live, multi-camera and broadcast productions. read more...
- Leica Cine 1 ProjectorFar-off adventures and family trips were inevitably followed by a slide show at home. It was a ritual. Adman Mad Man Dad would set up his latest Leica Pradovit slide projector, unfurl a large retractable Da-Lite screen, dim the lights and let the show begin. Leitz/Leica Pradovit projectors were familiar fixtures for many years. It was a given that Leitz Elmarit lenses were major contributors to the luminous images sliding in the dark. read more...
- Leitz ELSIE 125mm T2.1Leitz ELSIE lenses cover Full Frame +, from 15mm to 150mm, all T2.1. Designed and produced at Leitz Park in Wetzlar, Germany, ELSIE primes have the familiar Leitz and Leica warmth, resolution, look and smooth skin tones. ELSIE primes come in LPL mount. As with HUGO primes, ELSIE’s LPL 44mm flange depth enabled an advanced design and high performance at a reasonable price. read more...
- Ovide Octo 22″ & Koko 10″ Video AssistOvide Smart Assist Octo can record and monitor up to 8 HD camera outputs or 2 4K signals. It has 24× SDI outputs. Ovide KOKO is a video assist recorder/monitor with a 10" super bright (1000 nits) and true color HD (1920×1080) HDR DCI-P3 Touchscreen, 12G-SDI in/out, and it can record 4× 1080p60 cameras or 1× 4K in ProRes onto a removable SSD. read more...
- Tilta Nucleus Nano IITilta’s new Nucleus Nano II is an ultra compact wireless lens (focus, iris, zoom) control system. It is especially nimble on hybrid still/video mirrorless cameras, gimbals, cars, drones and rigs. The Nucleus Nano II hand wheel has been significantly improved from its predecessor in both ergonomics and display. One compact hand unit lets you control two lens motors. The knob can follow focus and the rocker can adjust iris or zoom. read more...
FDTimes 108-page Issue 124.
Film and Digital Times is made possible through the generous support of subscribers like you, and with grants from the following companies.
Content is in no way linked to sponsorship. We write about the things we use.