It was exactly a year ago when FDTimes rather breathlessly wrote, “A Cooke Front Anamorphic Zoom is in the works. Like the Cooke Anamorphic Primes, it is a true front anamorphic lens with 2x squeeze. The focal length has not been divulged.”
Les Zellan commented at the time, “In the storied tradition of Cooke 5:1 and 10:1 zooms, this is the first in a series of front anamorphic zoom lenses that will complement Cooke’s set of anamorphic /i series anamorphic primes lenses.”
More details were revealed at Cooke’s annual NAB Dinner. The new Cooke zoom would be 35-140 mm 2x squeeze anamorphic and was expected to be unveiled at NAB 2016. It would be a front anamorphic design, with familiar oval bokehs and familiar Cooke Look to match the rest of the Cooke Anamorphic/i family.
And here it is. It will be at NAB, a working model, on a camera — and expected to ship this summer.
Cooke 35-140 Anamorphic/i Zoom
- Zoom ratio: 4x
- Anamorphic Squeeze: 2x
- Horizontal Focal Length: 35-140 mm
- Aperture: T3.1–22
- MOD: Minimum Marked Object Distance: 3’ 11” / 1.2 m (47” / 1200 mm)
- Close Focus from Front of Lens: 2’ 4” / 0.72 m
- Image diagonal: 33.54 mm
- Weight (approx): 22.6 lb / 10.3 kg
- Length from Front of Lens to Lens Mount: 17” / 430 mm
- Front diameter: 136 mm / 5.35”
- Mount: PL
- Rotation of Iris Scale: 90°
- Rotation of Focus Scale, inf to MOD: 300°
- Focus Scales: Two opposing focus scales – imperial or metric
- Scales marked from infinity to MOD
- Focus Barrel: 172 teeth 0.8 metric module x 6.0 mm wide x 283 mm from the image plane
- Zoom Scales: Two opposing zoom scales
- Zoom Barrel: 140 teeth 0.8 metric module x 6.0 mm wide x 102 mm from the image plane
- Iris Scales: Two opposing linear T scales – marked in whole and third stops
- Iris Barrel: 134 teeth 0.8 metric module x 4.0 mm wide x 82 mm from the image plane
- www.cookeoptics.com NAB Booth C8344
The Cooke Series of Anamorphic /i lenses continues to grow. 11 models will be on display at Cooke’s NAB Booth C8344, ranging from 25 to 300 mm primes and the new 35-140 zoom.
A brief history: Les Zellan announced Cooke anamorphic primes at Cinec 2012 in Munich. The first sets of 5 Anamorphic lenses were delivered in April 2014: 32, 40, 50, 75 and 100 mm. The 25 and 135 mm followed in 2015. The Macro Anamorphic 65 mm was announced at Cine Gear 2015, and deliveries began in November 2015. Anamorphic 180 and 300 mm primes will be shown at NAB 2016–along with the new 35-140 mm T3.1 front anamorphic zoom.
NAB Booth C8344