KOMODO-X was introduced on May 16, 2023.
Jarred Land, holding a limited edition white ST (at left), said: “It’s not a replacement for the original KOMODO, which was designed as a crash cam. The new KOMODO-X is also Super35 and goes twice the frame rates of KOMODO (up to 80 fps at 6K 17:9 and 120 fps at 4K 17:9). It uses a much faster CFexpress card for data, just like the RAPTOR. (The original KOMODO uses CFAST 2.0 media.) KOMODO-X fits nicely between the KOMODO and the Super35 V-RAPTOR, at a reasonable price—just under $10,000.
“It has the same width and height. It’s just a little bit longer than the KOMODO. But, if you used a V-mount adapter on the back of KOMODO, the KOMODO-X is actually a bit smaller, all things considered. It’s the size a lot of filmmakers really seem to respond to—with the little Medium Format style shape from yesteryears and this mechanical shape, even though it’s a box, really resonates with people.”
“The intended users are in the middle, between the KOMODO and the V- RAPTOR, but I expect it to bias a little more towards the KOMODO user who took that camera and wrapped it in bits and pieces to make it as much of an “A” camera as possible. I think those users will be very drawn to the KOMODO-X.
“A while ago, there weren’t many cameras in the mid-range. That’s changed a little. It’s because a lot of people have been shooting with mirrorless cameras, which can give a pretty good image in ideal conditions. There becomes a point where those users start hitting the limitations of those cameras and start looking to move up. This new wave of filmmakers have created a new middle market, just above what was once called “prosumer” and KOMODO-X fits beautifully in there.”
RED KOMODO compared with KOMODO-X
The RED KOMODO-X is a camera user’s camera, a constant delight you want to keep in your carry-on bag or under-seat case to take everywhere. It is thoughtfully designed and meticulously machined. Controls are intuitive. Of course, the images are beautiful.
- SENSOR: KOMODO-X 19.9MP Super 35mm Global Shutter CMOS.
- EFFECTIVE PIXELS: 6144 (h) x 3240 (v)
- DYNAMIC RANGE: 16.5+ stops
- SENSOR SIZE: 27.03 mm x 14.26 mm (Diagonal: 30.56mm).
- MOUNT:Integrated locking RF mount with electronic communication
- Supports /i PL Lenses with RED RF to PL Adapters
- Supports Canon EF Adapter with communication and other adapters based on the RF mount
- MAX DATA RATES: Up to 560 MB/s using qualified CFexpress cards
- REDCODE RAW MAX FRAME RATES:
- 80 fps at 6K 17:9 (6144 x 3240)
- 96 fps at 5K 17:9 (5120 x 2700)
- 120 fps at 4K 17:9 (4096 x 2160)
- 240 fps at 2K 17:9 (2048 x 1080)
- PLAYBACK FRAME RATES (PROJECT TIME BASE): 23.98, 24, 25, 29.97, 30, 50, 59.94, 60 fps, all resolutions
- REDCODE HQ, MQ, LQ, and ELQ at 6K 17:9 (6144 x 3240) up to 80 fps
- REDCODE HQ, MQ, LQ, and ELQ at 4K 17:9 (4096 x 2160) up to 120 fps
- REDCODE HQ, MQ, LQ, and ELQ at 2K 17:9 (2048 x 1080) up to 240 fps
- REDCODE RAW ACQUISITION FORMATS: 6K 17:9 (6144 x 3240), 2:1, 2.4:1, 16:9. 1:1, and Anamorphic 2x, 1.8x, 1.6x, 1.5x, 1.3x, 1.25x.
Although it has more features and functions than KOMODO KOMODO-X is still a very modular camera. Let’s build it in various configurations below:
Attach RED DSMC3 RED TOUCH 7.0″ SmallHD Monitor
Add an RF to EF Adapter and lens
If (gasp) you have not yet upgraded from EF to RF Mount lenses for your KOMODO-X, then you probably have one of Canon’s RF to EF adapters. (Canon calls them EF-EOS R Lens Adapters.)
RED RF to PL Adapter w/ Electronic ND Filter
The RED RF to PL Adapter w/ Electronic ND Filter fits KOMODO 6K, KOMODO-X 6K, V-RAPTOR 8K VV, and V-RAPTOR 8K S35 cameras. The kit (at left) includes PL Mount Support Brackets for large or heavy lenses. However, you can attach the Adapter without brackets (as shown below).
The are two filters: Clear and Electronic ND Filter with a 2-7 stop range (ND.6 – ND2.1) in increments of 1/4, 1/3 or full stops.
The Electronic variable ND filter is approximately 2mm thick. The RF to PL Adapter is factory-shimmed to the thickness of the filters included in the kit. To maintain correct focus, one of the two filters should be used.