Photokina. September 25, 2018.
Watch what they do, not what they say, as MSNBC’s Rachel Maddow is fond of saying.
While many in the photography industry were saying, “Watch the new mirrorless Full Format (36x24mm) cameras,” Fujifilm was doing something completely different. They were leap-frogging from APS-C directly to Medium Format, and in the process, bypassing Full Format completely.
The new FUJIFILM GFX 50R is a medium format, mirrorless digital rangefinder-style companion to the larger GFX50S camera. Both cameras have a large 51.4MP CMOS image sensor. Both have a 26.7mm FFD (Flange Focal Depth). The GFX 50R looks somewhat like a rangefinder camera because the EVF is actually built into the body, not mounted on top. The electronic viewfinder has a high-rez, 3.69M-dot OLED display. The new GFX 50R weighs about 145g less than the GFX 50S. Viewing is a pleasure. The EVF is positioned on the extreme left side of the camera, like a Leica M rangefinder camera. Your eye comfortably comes in contact with the finder. Your nose will not hit the camera body and you can look around with your left at what’s going on in the outside world. The 50R is also thinner and smaller than the 50S.
The GFX 50R and 50S use the same FUJIFILM G Format 43.8 x 32.9mm 51.4MP sensor.
The rugged body is made of magnesium alloy, weather-sealed in 64 places, spray and dust-resistant. A Focus Lever enables quick focus point adjustment. The top of the body has two analog style dials – for shutter speed and exposure compensation.
The GFX 50R camera weighs 775g with built-in EVF, approximately 145g lighter than the GFX 50S, and the body is just 66.4mm thick, 25.0mm thinner than the GFX 50S.
The GFX 50R is the first model in the GFX system to feature Bluetooth wireless communication to pair the camera with a smartphone or tablet for easy transfer of pictures via the free FUJIFILM Camera Remote application.
Currently, the GFX system offers 11 FUJINON GF Lenses for G Mount. All GF lenses are capable of resolving up to 100MP, and are designed to be dust- and weather- resistant and built to endure temperatures as low as 14 degrees Fahrenheit / -10 degrees Celsius (same as the camera).
Today, Fujifilm announced 3 new lenses for GFX cameras: FUJINON GF100-200mm F5.6 R LM OIS WR telephoto zoom lens, GF50mm F3.5 R LM WR compact prime lens and GF45-100mm F4 R LM OIS WR mid telephoto zoom lens. So, the GF lens lineup includes a total of eleven lenses covering focal lengths from 23 to 350mm (equivalent to 18-277mm in the 35mm format)
The GFX system is compatible with Capture One Pro (FUJIFILM) announced at Photokina and supports tethering software HS-V5 for Windows and Tether Shooting Plug-in PRO for Adobe Photoshop.
FUJIFILM GFX 50R Key Features:
· 51.4MP Medium Format 43.8 x 32.9mm sensor.
· FUJIFILM G Mount with short flange back distance of 26.7mm.
· X-Processor Pro imaging processor.
· 3 different JPEG settings (SUPER FINE, FINE, NORMAL), as well as two different RAW settings (uncompressed, compressed). TIFF output is also possible with in-camera RAW development
· Full HD for Movie Mode: 1920×1080 29.97p/25p/24p/23.98p 36Mbps, in Film Simulation modes
· Lightweight body weighs approximately 27.3oz. / 775g
· LCD Monitor: 3.2 inch, aspect ratio 4:3, approx. 2,360K-dots; tilt-type (two direction), touch screen color LCD monitor (approx. 100% coverage)
· Uses SD Cards (UHS-II recommended), Equipped with dual slots
· NP-T125 high capacity battery for approximately 400 photos (with Auto Power Save ON)
· Bluetooth Ver. 4.0 low energy technology
The new FUJIFILM GFX 50R will be available late November 2018 in the U.S. and Canada for USD $4,499.95