It’s the RED Digital Cinema W8K VV Camera with MONSTRO Sensor.
MONSTRO replaces the 8K VV Dragon sensor. The carbon fiber Weapon camera body (brain) stays the same. (Weapon is the body, MONSTRO and Dragon
MONSTRO provides improved image quality, with greater dynamic range and increased shadow detail. See the demo video “Iron Horse.”
- The new RED WEAPON 8K VV MONSTRO can record 8K, 40.96 x 21.60 mm full format (46.31 mm diagonal) up to 60 fps.
- 8192 x 4320 resolution
- This has the same resolution and sensor size as the RED 8K VV Dragon sensor, so presumably the pixel pitch is the same size: 5 microns.
- All new sensor and photosite design.
- 35.4 megapixel stills
- MONSTRO VV (Full Frame) has a resolution of 8192×4320 (sensor dimensions of 40.96 x 21.60mm)
- Shooting in Super35 3-perf (24.89 x 13.87mm) format results in 4978 x 2774 image resolution. This is closest to the camera’s 5K FF setting (5120 x 2700).
- Super35 4-perf (24.89 x 18.66mm) format provides a resolution of 4978 x 3732.
- Data rate: up to 300 MB/s with RED MINI-MAG
- Records simultaneous REDCODE RAW and Apple ProRes or Avid DNxHD/HR
- Price of a new RED WEAPON 8K VV MONSTRO is $79,500 (camera brain). New orders will begin shipping in early 2018.
- Upgrades from carbon fiber WEAPON at $29,500.
- Other than sensor itself and sensor boards, there are no other changes from W8K DRAGON Sensor model.
- MONSTRO 8K VV will replace the DRAGON 8K VV sensor, and customers who already ordered a DRAGON 8K VV sensor will be offered the new MONSTRO sensor beginning today.