Cinematographers of the world, get online or on line. The new Canon EOS 7D ships end of September, and it is everything you wanted in the sequel to last year’s blockbuster called Canon EOS 5D Mark II. This is the HDSLR you’ve been waiting for: a compact, rugged, lightweight combination digital still camera, 1920 x 1080 24p HD video camera, director’s finder, frame grabber and more.
We recently tested the 7D, both indoors and in Times Square, and met with the Canon team responsible for this must-have camera. Its super-fluid design and continuously curved shape was so comfortable, they had to pry it from our hands. The 7D is not a replacement for the 5D; it is the beginning of a new line of HDSLR cameras for professionally confluent cinematographers and photographers.
Canon’s EOS 7D has an 18 Megapixel sensor, practically the same size (APS-C 22.3 x 14.9mm) as the 35mm motion picture gate you know and love, so you won’t have to do any math to recalculate comparable lens angles or determine depth of field. With its 100% field of view viewfinder, what you see is what you get, and you can use the enormous range of Canon still lenses to frame a shot that will be almost the same focal length in Normal35 Academy.
Three new lenses are coming soon. The EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM has a new kind of hybrid image stabilization with shift and angular camera shake detection. The EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM will be welcome for wide handheld shooting in Movie Mode, and the EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS for general use.
Here are some more interesting specs and facts about the EOS 7D:
– 18 Megapixel CMOS APS-C sensor, Dual DIGIC 4 Image Processor
– ISO 100-6400 (expandable to 12,800), 14 bit Analog to Digital Conversion
– 4.3 micron pixel size, with gapless microlenses
– 1080: 30p (29.97) / 24p (23.976) / 25p
– 720: 60p (59.94) / 50p; SD: 60p (59.94) / 50p
– H.264 MPEG-4 .mov video / Manual Exposure
– Onboard 2 channel audio and external audio input
– 12 minute maximum clip length
– Dedicated start/stop button for Movie shooting and Live View Mode
– Shutter Speed 1/30 – 1/4000 second in video mode
– Intelligent Viewfinder with 100% field of view
– Wide viewing angle in viewfinder of 29.4°, high magnification of 1.0
– New all cross-type 19-point AutoFocus system
– 63 zone dual-layer metering sensor utilizing AF & color information
– Up to 126 Large/JPEGS using a UDMA CF card, 8fps continuous shooting
– 3-in TFT Clear View II LCD Monitor, approx. 920,000 dots (VGA)
– Dual axis electronic level in the Viewfinder and LCD
– Magnesium body with shutter durability up to 150,000 cycles
– Exclusive dust and weather resistance
– Fast .059 second shutter response time, built-in flash
– WiFi file transmission 802.11a/b/g, geotagging support using GPS devices