Angenieux welcomes a 3rd sister in their lightweight, high-class, high-quality, compact Optimo Style family of S35 mm format zooms. The new 48-130 T3.0 zoom lens joins the Optimo Style 16-40 T2.8 and 30-76 T2.8 zooms. Actually there’s a 4th Style sibling, a bit longer, less accustomed to hand-holding, but equally popular. He’s the bigger brother: Angenieux’s Optimo Style 25-250 T3.5.
The new 48-130 T3.0 is the longest zoom in the lightweight series: excellent for close-ups, portraits, and tighter angles on all productions.
The Angenieux Optimo Style 48-130 has superb optical performances, covers an image circle up to 34.6 mm diameter, with a constant maximum aperture of T3.0. There’s no ramping (change of exposure) when zooming in. As with the rest of the Optimo Style family, there’s minimal breathing (changing image size when focusing), minimal distortion and minimal optical aberration.
The image quality is superb and matches the rest of the Angénieux line in look and character. The lens shares the familiar, precise, rugged construction of the Style series, with 320 degree rotation of the focus barrel, and industry-standard 0.8M gears on the focus, iris and zoom barrels.
Optimo Style lightweight zooms are excellent for handheld, remote heads, on Steadicams, gimbals, rigs and drones.
With just 3 lenses, the Optimo Style lightweight zooms let you cover a focal length range from 16 mm to 130 mm and on to 260 mm with Angénieux’s 2x extender.
Just a quick review of Optimo Style compared with Optimo Spherical (Classic) and Optimo DP Angenieux zooms. Classic (15-40 T2.6, 28-76 T2.6, 45-120 T2.8 came first and continue to be the premium, top of the line models with the best optical performance. Optimo DP (sometimes called Rouge)16-42 T2.8 and 30-80 T2.8 had protruding rear elements, couldn’t be used with spinning mirror shutters, and were discontinued. The new Optimo Style series can be used on the latest digital cameras and cameras with mirror shutters and have a PL mount that is easily interchanged to Canon EF or Panavision PV mount.
Angénieux 48-130 T3.0 Optimo Style summary
- 2.7x zoom range 48-130 mm
- Compact and very lightweight (1.95kg / 4.3 lb). Great for handheld, Steadicam, gimbals, rigs, aerials and drones.
- Constant T3.0 aperture throughout the entire zoom range. No ramping (change of exposure)
- Large image circle up to 34.6mm. Fully covers RED 8K Helium sensor and ARRI Open Gate
- Superb image quality with minimal aberration
- Color reproduction matches the rest of the Angénieux Optimo lens series
- Extremely well controlled distortion
- Internal focus, minimal breathing
- Precise focus ring with scale rotation of 320 degrees with over 20 precise focus witness marks and ergonomic rubber grip
- Compatible Angénieux Servo Unit (ASU) with integrated motors for remote control with industry standard wireless and broadcast control systems)
- Compatible with Optimo 1.4x and 2x extenders, providing zoom range of 67-182 mm at T4.2 with 1.4x, and 96-260 mm at T6 with 2x)
- Precise and rugged mechanical design of zoom and focus groups using Angénieux’s classic rod mechanical guiding system
- Extreme temperature range from -20°C to +45°C
- Available in PL mount. Easily interchangeable to Canon EF or Panavision PV mount.
Additional details and information on the new Type EZ zooms in the April edition of FDTimes to be distributed on April 24.