It was like science class at InterBEE — where AJA introduced their new Ki Pro Ultra. AJA’s Andy Bellamy starred as your favorite physics teacher (with Eric Hamilton simultaneously translating to Japanese).
For anyone who had slept during the past seven years of film school, the original AJA Ki Pro was a gold standard for ProRes video recording, making it easy to capture and convert video from just about any camera and then move the files to most editing systems. AJA’s Ki Pro Mini came next, toward the end of 2011 — small enough to mount on the camera. Ki Pro Quad followed in 2013 as a 4K recorder-player.
The Ki Pro Ultra is the latest member of the family. It’s a 4K Recorder/Player with 4.8″ HD Monitor and two AJA Pak Media SSD slots.
AJA Ki Pro Ultra records 4K/UltraHD and 2K/HD files up to 60p. What makes it so appealing is the ability to capture edit-ready 4K (4096 x 2160), UltraHD (3840 x 2160), 2K (2048 x 1080) and HD (1920 x 1080) Apple ProRes files. Edit-ready means no transcoding — which saves lots of time.
Like most AJA products, the Ki Pro Ultra has a plethora of input and output connections, including 3G-SDI, Fiber, HDMI and XLR audio.
You can record 4K ProRes 4444 ProRes HQ using AJA Pak1000 (1 Terabyte) SSD media drives. You can also use AJA Pak 256, Pak 512, and CFast 2.0 cards (with an optional adapter) for ProRes 422.
Ki Pro Ultra can be controlled from a laptop or computer via ethernet from any web-browser. It can sit on a desk, fit into a rack (it’s only 8.6″ wide) or can be carried with a handle.
With its VTR style push-button controls, the Ki Pro Ultra will surely become a quick favorite on DIT carts everywhere, not only to record up to 4K, but also as an immediate 4K “video assist” playback device. Of course, there are many other applications: studios, on-set, near-set, digital signs, expo playback, fashion shows, broadcast…
- Recording and playback of 4K/UHD and 2K/HD.
- Apple ProRes up to ProRes 4444.
- Records 4K/UltraHD and 2K/HD sources directly to AJA Pak SSD media up to 1 TB.
- Rollover recording with twin media drive bays.
- 3G-SDI, Fiber, HDMI inputs / outputs, AES & analog XLR balanced audio, LTC, RS-422, LAN.
- All outputs are active all the time.
- “Always-on” high-quality 4K/UHD to HD down-conversion.
- Intuitive menus and monitoring on a built-in 4.8″ 720p LCD display.
- Remote control from any web-browser.
- Rotary selection knob for quick adjustment of configuration and settings.
- RS-422 control for editing systems and external controllers.
- Standard 2RU high, 1/2 rack width for side-by-side rackmounting.
- Included carrying handle.
Ki Pro Ultra Video Formats
- (4K) 4096x2160p 23.98, 24, 25, 29.97, 30, 50, 59.94, 60
- (UltraHD) 3840x2160p 23.98, 24, 25, 29.97, 30, 50, 59.94, 60
- (2K) 2048x1080p 23.98, 24, 25, 29.97, 30, 50, 59.94, 60
- (HD) 1080p 23.98, 24, 25, 29.97, 30, 50, 59.94, 60
- (HD) 1080i 25, 29.97, 30
- (HD) 1080psf 23.98, 24, 25*, 29.97
- Apple ProRes 444 4K/UltraHD/2K/HD up to 30 fps
- Apple ProRes 422 (HQ)
- Apple ProRes 422
- Apple ProRes 422 (LT)
- Apple ProRes 422 (Proxy)
• Width: 8.64” (21.94cm)
• Depth: 9.34” (23.72cm)
• Height: 3.31” (8.41cm)
• Weight: 5.55 lbs (2.52 kg)
• Power: Dual, Redundant, 100-240 VAC 50/60Hz (with AC adapter) and 12-18VDC 4-pin XLR, 5.4A Max, 35W-60W typical-65W Max
Ki Pro Ultra is shipping now. MSRP $3,995.