Sony FX6 and FX9 (as well as FS7 and FS5) cameras have a nice right handgrip with a built-in zoom rocker. The assumption is that you’ll use a Sony zoom lens that has an internal zoom motor.
But what if you want to use a photo or cine zoom lens that lacks an internal motor? There are many E-mount Sony, ZEISS, SIGMA, Angénieux and other zoom lenses there for the asking.
Chrosziel’s new Zoomer (CDM-UNI-Z2) Universal Zoom Motor attaches to a 15mm lens rod. Connect one end of its Y-cable to the Sony camera’s MULTI or 3.5mm port and the other end to the handgrip cable. The Zoom Motor’s Lemo port connects with a D-Tap cable to an onboard battery like Hawk-Woods’s BP-98UX.
To change motor direction, hold the handgrip zoom rocker down in the Wide position for at least 10 seconds. To choose among 5 zoom modes, hold the rocker in the Tele position for 10 seconds. The LED blinks 1 to 5 times to indicate setting.
- Power supply 10-30V (Lemo compatible 0B 5-pin)
- 2.5mm socket (control command In)
- 3.5mm socket (control command In & Out)
- USB Type min A-B (firmware updates)
- Torque 0.5Nm
- Power consumption max. approx. 350mAh @ 12V
IN THE BOX
- 1x CDM-UNI-Z2 Digital motor unit
- 1x LANC cable
- 1x LANC extension cable
- 1x MN-AB-A90 (power supply cable 12 Volt A/B D-Tap – angled 90° rotated 0B 5pin)
- 1x 206-30 Flexi Gear Ring (Ø 60-120mm)
- 1x Gear Drive, mod. 0.8 (Ø 40mm)
- 1x CAB-FX9 for Sony PXW-FX9 compatibility
- 1x CAB-FX6 for Sony PXW-FX6 compatibility
- USB Mini Adapter