The new LUMIX S5 joins Panasonic’s growing line of beloved hybrid mirrorless cameras that shoot beautiful video easily.
The S5 is Full Frame—lighter and smaller than the S1H.
It shoots 4K 30p 4:2:2 10-bit and 60p 4:2:0 10-bit video internally as MOV or MP4 files.
The sensor has in-body stabilizing. Add that to Optically Image Stabilized L-mount lenses, and you gain 5 to 7 stops of steadiness. Handheld, you can almost be a human tripod.
The camera’s L-Mount has a 20 mm flange focal depth, and shares L-Mount lenses with SIGMA and Leica as part of the L-Mount alliance.
One very interesting feature is Live View Composite video which I will pursue with the demo camera that arrived here. Normally, when you film timelapse of the night sky to get those beautiful streaks of stars, the foreground cityscape or landscape becomes overexposed. The S5 compensates to keep the overexposed areas under control.
- 24.2 Megapixel sensor, like the S1H. But the S5 does not have an OLPF. (The S1H has a low pass filter.)
- 2,360,000 dot OLED viewfinder.
- 1,840,000 dot tilt and swiveling monitor.
- ISO: 100-51,200, extended 50-204,800.
- Dual native ISO that you’d expect from a Panasonic camera.
- Time lapse and slow motion
- Dual SD card slots.
- Anamorphic desqueeze in Super35 format. 1.3x, 1.33x, 1.5x, 1.8x and 2x squeeze ratios are displayed.
- Frame lines available: 2.39:1, 2.35:1, 2:1, 1.85:1, 16:9, 4:3, 5:4, 1:1, 4:5, 9:16.
- 14+ stops of dynamic range with V-Log / V-Gamut
- Larger sensor (Full Frame) and yet the body is smaller than LUMIX GH series cameras.
- Autofocus has been improved: more accurate and faster.
- Audio mic input and headphone output jacks are on the camera left side.
- Dimensions: 132.6 mm wide x 97.1 mm high x 81.9 mm deep.
- Weight: 714 grams
- 10-bit HDMI external 4K recording in 4:2:2 10-bit will be supported.The S5 comes body only or with a compact 20-60 f/3.5-5.6 zoom lens.
Firmware updates coming
Firmware updates at a later date will provide:
- RAW Video Output via HDMI to ATOMOS NINJA V
- 5.9K (5888×3312) 29.97p/25p,
- 4K (4128×2176) 59.94p/50p,
- Anamorphic 3.5K (3536×2656)/50p
- C4K Video Recording
- Vector Scope Display, Master Pedestal Adjustment, Shutter Speed/Gain Operation (SEC/ISO, ANGLE/ISO, SEC/dB)
PL MOUNT ADAPTER on S1H