SIGMA announced their latest E-Mount and L-Mount high-end 85mm F1.4 Full-Frame lens for mirrorless cameras. The new SIGMA 85mm F1.4 DG DN | Art prime lens is remarkably small and lightweight, yet displays superb optical performance. MTF values even exceed its much larger 85mm F1.4 DG HSM | Art predecessor.
Several notable characteristics include:
- Iris click / declick switch
- Auto and manual aperture settings with a linear iris barrel
- Auto and manual focus
- Dust and splash proof seals
- L-Mount (20 mm FFD) for SIGMA, Panasonic and Leica L-Mount Alliance cameras
- E-Mount (18 mm FFD) for Sony cameras
- Compact: (max. diameter × length) φ82.8mm×94.1mm / φ3.3×3.7in.
- Light weight: 630g / 22.2oz.
- Optics: 11 groups, 15 elements (5 SLDs and 1 aspherical lens)
Paired with SIGMA’s new fp camera, this lens will be an especially welcome companion for portraits in both still and video modes.
And, I can almost hear heads and gears spinning as colleagues consider whether this foreshadows the next wave of new lenses for cine: mirrorless still and cine camera design, shallow FFD of 18-20 mm, light and small.
The SIGMA 85mm F1.4 DG DN | Art lens will be available on Aug 27 for US $1,199 (MSRP excluding tax), € 1,099 (with tax) and £ 999 (w tax)
Please watch SIGMA CEO Kazuto Yamaki’s 30-minute presentation. (It begins at 15:00 in the YouTube timeline, below.) He explains optical and mechanical design, lens MTF and characteristics, the team behind the lens and many other details.