The URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2 (Generation Two) camera comes with new electronics, a new Super35 4.6K HDR image sensor, 15 stops of dynamic range, 300 fps high frame rate shooting, Blackmagic RAW and more.
Blackmagic Design’s URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2 is the second generation URSA Mini Pro camera with fully redesigned electronics and a new Super 35mm 4.6K image sensor. URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2 supports Blackmagic RAW and has a new USB-C connector for direct recording to external disks.
The new URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2 has many technological advancements over the original model. It has entirely new electronics for higher speed processing. The new Super35 4.6K image sensor captures up to 4608 x 2592 pixels with 15 stops of latitude at up to 3200 ISO. You can record full sensor 4.6K images at up to 120 fps, windowed 4K DCI up 150 fps, and windowed 1080 HD up to 300 fps. That makes URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2 an excellent choice for slow motion stunts, documentaries, nature photography, sports and tabletop food commercials.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2 can capture Blackmagic RAW images in both film and extended video modes. This will be appealing for high end feature films, television shows, commercials, and independent productions as well as broadcast news, studio and live multi camera shows.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2 is extremely tough. Its compact magnesium alloy body is durable, light and exceptionally hand-holdable. There’s a bright, backlit LCD status display on the camera left side for essential settings and information. The foldout touch-screen monitor lets you view the picture and menu settings without needing an extra on-set monitor. Professional connections abound: 12G-SDI, XLR audio, built-in high quality stereo microphones and more.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2 has 3 internal optical IRND (neutral density) filters with a precision mechanism that quickly moves them into place when the ND filter dial is turned.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2 has external control buttons, switches, knobs and dials for direct access to the most important camera settings. Every control is redundant. They are laid out in a logical order that makes them easy to remember. You can operate the camera without having to look at the buttons, hunt through menus, or take your eye off the action. URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2 also has a high visibility status screen that displays important information such as timecode, shutter and lens settings, battery, recording status and audio levels. The status display has a backlight and is designed to be clearly visible in both dimly lit studios and outside in direct sunlight.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2 comes standard with an interchangeable EF lens mount. The Canon style EF mount is easy to remove and swap with the optional PL mount. There’ are also optional B4 and Nikon style F lens mounts. URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2 also includes a standard 12 pin Hirose lens control connector.
The camera has dual C-Fast 2.0 and dual SD UHS-II card recording slots. You can choose the media that works best for your projects. C-Fast cards are ideal for full resolution Blackmagic RAW 12-bit recording, while UHS-II SD cards are inexpensive and commonly available, making them excellent choices for recording Blackmagic RAW 8:1 or 12:1 Ultra HD and standard HD files. With dual slots for each media type, the camera never has to stop recording. This is called relay recording: when the first card is full, recording automatically continues onto the next card. Full cards can be swapped for empty ones, all without stopping the camera.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2 also includes a new high speed USB-C expansion port. You can plug in an SSD for external recording. That means you can record for even longer durations without stopping. Furthermore, you can record directly onto the same external disks that can be used for editing and color correction.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2 includes the full version of DaVinci Resolve Studio software. It combines nonlinear video editing with DaVinci Resolve’s world-famous advanced color correction along with seamless importing, finishing and delivering projects shot on URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2.
DaVinci Resolve Studio works natively with Blackmagic RAW files from the camera, so you can bring them directly into post production without having to convert or transcode them. Quality is preserved because it is a truly lossless workflow. Using DaVinci Resolve Studio is currently the fastest and highest quality way to work with Blackmagic RAW files from URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2.
“The original URSA Mini Pro has been an extremely successful and very popular camera,” said Grant Petty, CEO of Blackmagic Design. “Blackmagic URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2 is exciting because it gives customers second generation electronics and an even higher performance image sensor so they can shoot at extremely high frame rates for crystal clear slow motion images. URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2 is powerful enough to be used on high end feature films and television shows, versatile enough to be used for broadcast news and live multi camera event production, and affordable enough for indie filmmakers and even students. It’s like getting 3 cameras in one.”
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2 is available now for $5,995 from Blackmagic Design resellers worldwide.
- 15 stops of dynamic range.
- Super 35mm 4.6K sensor
- Supports project frame rates up to 60 fps.
- Slow motion recording up to 120 fps in 4.6K, 150 fps in 4K DCI and 300 fps in HD Blackmagic RAW.
- Interchangeable lens mount with EF mount included as standard. Optional PL, B4 and F lens mounts available separately.
- Internal ND.6, ND1.2 and ND1.8 (2, 4 and 6 stops) IRND Neutral Density filters.
- Fully redundant controls including external controls that allow direct access to the most important camera settings such as external power switch, ND filter wheel, ISO, shutter, white balance, record button, audio gain controls, lens and transport control, high frame rate button and more.
- Built-in dual CFast 2.0 card slots and dual SD/UHS-II card slots allow unlimited duration recording.
- High speed USB-C connection for recording directly to an external SSD or flash disk.
- Lightweight and durable magnesium alloy body.
- LCD status display to check frame rate, shutter angle, ISO White Balance, Lens Aperture (on enabled lenses), timecode, battery, recording status, and audio levels.
- Support for Blackmagic RAW files in Constant Bitrate 3:1, 5:1, 8:1 and 12:1
- or Constant Quality Q0 and Q5
- as well as ProRes 4444 XQ, ProRes 4444, ProRes 422 HQ, ProRes 422, ProRes 422 LT, ProRes 422 Proxy recording at 4.6K, 4K, Ultra HD and HD resolutions.
- Supports recording up to 300 fps in HD, 150 fps in 4K DCI, and 120 fps at full frame 4.6K.
- All standard connectors, including dual XLR mic/line audio inputs with phantom power, 12G-SDI output for monitoring with camera status graphic overlay, and separate XLR 4 pin power output for viewfinder power, headphone jack, LANC remote control and standard 4 pin 12V DC power connection.
- Built-in high quality stereo microphones.
- 4-inch foldout touchscreen for monitoring and menu settings.
- Includes full copy of DaVinci Resolve Studio color grading and editing software.
Blackmagic URSA Mini Accessories
The Blackmagic URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2 is compatible with the full range of URSA Mini accessories available from Blackmagic Design resellers worldwide:
- Blackmagic URSA Mini Pro PL, B4 and F lens mounts each sold separately.
- Additional Blackmagic URSA Mini Pro EF lens mounts also sold separately.
- Blackmagic URSA Mini Shoulder Kit has built in rosettes, rail mounts, viewfinder mount, integrated tripod quick lock release and top handle.
- Blackmagic URSA Viewfinder is a high resolution viewfinder that includes a full HD OLED display and glass optical elements to assure clear focus checking.
- Blackmagic URSA Studio Viewfinder has a 7” screen, variable tension mounting points, grab handles, external controls and more.
- URSA V-Lock Battery Plate provides a V-Lock compatible plate for attaching third party batteries.
AVAILABILITY AND PRICE
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2 is available now from Blackmagic Design resellers worldwide for US$5,995.
Also available from resellers are the optional URSA Mini Pro PL lens mount for US$245, optional F lens mount for US$375 as well as the optional URSA Mini Pro B4 HD lens mount for US$385.
URSA Mini Pro comes standard with an EF lens mount, and additional replacement mounts can also be purchased for US$175.
Reprinted from Film and Digital Times April 2019 Edition #93-94