A new line of FF Macro Cine Lenses were introduced at the Band Pro Open House on December 10 in Burbank by IB/E President Klaus Eckerl and Band Pro President Amnon Band.
They said, “The new macro lenses were designed to address the industry-wide movement toward larger format sensors,” (including RED W6K and W8K, Sony a7, Canon, Nikon, and ARRI Alexa 65).
The first focal lengths in the new IB/E Macro FF lens family are 100mm T2.9, 150mm T2.9, and 180mm T2.9. They all cover Full Frame (24×36 mm / 44 mm diagonal). Close focus is 1:1 magnification, meaning you can fill the Full Frame 24×36 format with an object that is also 24 x 36 mm. At 1:1 Magnification, you lose 1⅔ stops. (* explanation at bottom)
Although they’re calling them Macro Lenses, they are also superb throughout the rest of focus range. They all focus to 1:1 and have internal focus, consistent position of the focus and iris gears (no need to move follow focus or lens motors when changing lenses). The front diameters are all the same: 95mm—same as Leica Summilux-C and Summicron-C.
The lens mount is UMS PL—Universal Mount System—familiar to users of IB/E Exenders, Expanders, and conversion kits. It quickly converts, without tools, between PL, Canon EF, Nikon F, Sony E and MFT mounts.
IB/E Optics is a Bavarian company well known for expanders, adapters, BavEyes, IBELux 40mm T1.9, S35 Scope, industrial, machine vision, as well as the ARRI Alexa 65 primes and the 50-110 zoom.
IB/E Optics Macro FF Primes
- Focal lengths: 100, 150, 180 mm
- Aperture: T2.9-T22
- Close Focus: 1:1
- MOD (Close Focus 100/150/180 lens): 12.2” / 15” / 18.5”
- Maximum Aperture at 1:1 Close Focus: T5.3
- Focus Rotation: 300 degrees
- Iris Rotation: 70
- Gear pitch: 0.8 (industry standard)
- UMS PL Mount (converts to Nikon F, Canon EF, Sony E, etc)
- Adjustable flange focal distance (no shims)
- /i Lens Metadata optional
- Iris Leaves 9
- Image Circle: 44 mm
- Length Flange to Front for 100, 150: 145 mm / 5.7”
- Length Flange to Front for 1185: 200 mm / 7.9”
- Front Diameter: 95 mm / 3.7”
- Approx Weight 100 / 150 / 184: 1.5 kg / 1.9 kg / 2.9 kg
* Why these Macros lose 1.75 stops and not 2 stops at 1:1 Focus Distance
Klaus Eckerl, lens designer and head of IB/E Optics explains: