Here’s an exciting new camera from Canon. Their 5D paved the way for still cameras that shoot video. This one is a video camera that shoots impressive stills.
If Canon’s XC-10 looks like a mirrorless camera, well, it is. It will be at home on gimbals, drones, rigs, remotes, and anywhere else a lighter, smaller 4K camera with attached zoom lens is requested. Tim Smith called it a “POV and rig camera on steroids.” It’s also a lot more.
One of my favorite features is the removable prism finder that clips onto the tilting rear LCD monitor. It’s very sharp, focusable, and compact. The XC-10 runs on the same batteries at Canon’s DSLRs like the 5D. There’s a swiveling right handgrip.
The XC-10 has a 1-inch sensor and an attached 10:1 zoom lens: 8.9-89 mm f/2.8-5.6. That’s the impressive equivalent of 24.1-241 mm for stills and 27.3-273 mm for video in full frame 35mm still format , which is approximately 17.6-176 mm in 35mm Academy Format.) The Canon XC-10 records 4K UHD 3840×2160 AVC Interframe 422 8-bit up to 30 fps , 60 fps in HD. Files are MXF .MOV compressed 4K.
You can shoot 12 megapixel stills, or you can get 8 megapixel framegrabs from the video recording. Ships June 2015.
XC10 4K Digital Camcorder
- 4K and Full HD video
- 12-Megapixel stills.
- Built-in extract 8-Megapixel still image extraction s from recorded 4K video
- 1-inch 12-megapixel CMOS sensor
- 12 stops of dynamic range
- 10x Zoom Lens (35mm-equivalent zoom range of 24.1-241mm for still photos and 27.3-273mm for movies)
- DIGIC DV5 signal processor
- 5-axis image stabilization (full HD only)
- Interval, time-lapse and slow motion
- XC10 uses two new codecs: XF-AVC Intra codec for 4K, and XF-AVC Long GOP for Full HD.
- Canon Log Gamma, Wide DR or EOS Standard picture modes.
- Dedicated focusing ring
- Continuous AF mode with Face Detection.
- Microphone and headphone jacks
- Built-in microphone
- LCD monitor with touch-panel
- Rotating handgrip
- Built-in dual-band 5GHz and 2.4 GHz WiFi for control by smartphone or tablet. Browser previewing of recorded images without the need to remove media from camcorder.
- H.264 4:2:2/8-bit MXF 4K (UHD) 3840 x 2160 movies to internal CFast card up to a maximum of 305 Mbps/29.97P
- Full HD 1920 x 1080 video to an SD card up to 50Mbps/59.94P in Full HD.
- HDMI 1.4 output
- For still-photography: mechanical shutter, up to 3.8 frames-per-second shooting, support for multiple aspect ratios, and compatibility with EOS system accessories such as the Battery Pack LP-E6N, Speedlite flash units, Canon GPS receivers, and remote controllers.
- Built-in ND filter
- ISO speeds 160 – 20,000
- Optional Canon accessories include a Direct Viewfinder for eye-level shooting in bright conditions.
- Compact size: approx. 4.9 x 4.0 x 4.8 inches, WxHxD
- Weight: 2.3 lb with LP-E6 battery pack and two memory cards.
The Canon XC10 4K Digital Camcorder is scheduled to be available in June 2015 for an estimated retail price of $2,499.00 with SanDisk 64GB CFast™ 2.0 card and card reader. For more information: usa.canon.com/nab2015
NAB C4325, C3628.