Blackmagic Design Camera 1.9.7 software is now available on the Blackmagic Design website. It includes dashboard on screen menus and disk formatting for the Blackmagic Cinema Camera and Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera.
The new disk formatting feature lets us format SSDs and SD Cards in camera. The disks no longer require a computer for formatting. Unlike computers that format disks for general storage use, the Blackmagic Cinema Camera and Pocket Cinema Camera confirm the brand of disk and other disks parameters and then format for highest speed video data recording and playback for that specific type of disk.
This also means that as new disks are released in the future, new software can be released to provide maximum performance.
There’s a choice of two disk formats, ExFAT and HFS+. ExFAT is compatible with both Windows and Mac OS X. ExFAT is good is you’re working on both Mac and Windows platforms. HFS+ is the native Mac OS format and allows higher performance on Macs and has good error protection because HFS+ supports journaling.
The new Blackmagic Camera Update 1.9.7 also includes the new dashboard menu that allows camera functions to be selected quickly. You can choose to format disks, enable focus peaking, go to the settings page, and select other camera operations with big graphic buttons.
Blackmagic Update 1.9.8 is for:
Blackmagic Cinema Camera
- 2.5K 35mm sensor
- New PL model
- Also mounts in EF and MFT
- Built in SSD recorder with solid state disks
- Open file formats compatible with popular NLE software, such as ProRes 422 HQ, ProRes 422, ProRes 422 LT, ProRes 422 Proxy, DNxHD and uncompressed RAW. No custom file formats.
- Features all standard connections, including jack mic/line audio in, 3G-SDI output for monitoring with camera status graphic overlay, headphone mini jack, Thunderbolt, LANC remote control and standard DC 12-30V power connection.
- Built in touch screen LCD for camera settings and metadata entry compatible with popular video editing software including Final Cut Pro X.
- Ultra HD and 1080HD resolution at 23.98, 24, 25, 29.97 and 30 fps.
- Includes UltraScope software for live scopes via the built in Thunderbolt connection.
- Includes DaVinci Resolve color grading software.
Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera Key Features
- 1080HD Super 16mm sized sensor
- Compatible with Micro Four Thirds lenses. Other mounts via third party adapters
- Built in SD card recorder with easy to use media.
- Open file formats compatible with popular NLE software such as ProRes 422 HQ, ProRes 422, ProRes 422 LT, ProRes 422 Proxy and lossless CinemaDNG 12-bit RAW. No custom file formats.
- Standard connections including mini jack mic/line audio in, micro HDMI output for monitoring with camera status graphic overlay, headphone mini jack, LANC remote control and standard DC 12-30V power connection.
- Built in LCD for camera settings via menus
- 1080HD resolution capture at 23.98, 24, 25, 29.97 and 30 fps.
- Compatible with DaVinci Resolve Lite color grading software.