Panasonic held a pre-NAB press conference today in New York. Although a nuts and bolts camera was not handed around, we were enticed with this image of a 35mm 4K VariCam that will be shown at NAB 2014.
Steve Cooperman, Product Manager, outlined some of the main features:
- 35mm MOS sensor
- PL mount
- Dockable / detachable recorder can be tethered by cable to body or attached.
- Records in a number of formats– including 4K, UHD, 2K and HD.
- AVC-ULTRA codecs for 4K
- Handles 4K RAW — not sure if this is internal or output.
- 4096 x 2160 (17:9) 4K image capture
- 14+ stops of exposure latitude
- shoots up to 120 fps
- OLED viewfinder with optical eyepiece magnification
- Uses Panasonic’s new expressP2 card for high frame rate recording.
- Camera has 4 card slots, for two expressP2 cards and two for microP2 cards.
The 35mm 4K VariCam models will launch in Fall 2014. Price was not given.
Prototypes of this camera were seen at IBC and InterBEE 2013 under glass: