Sony VENICE continues to catch the attention and imagination of filmmakers worldwide. It is working on many features, commercials and television productions. Full Frame is gaining traction as almost every lens manufacturer rolls out an increasing number of Full Frame lenses.
Firmware version 3.0 arrived on time in February 2019 and is available now as a free update.
The VENICE Extension System is already working as non-serial models on undisclosed major productions and will soon be available to everyone, as announced, by the end of February.
The big news, what everyone has been clamoring for, is 120 fps.
Sony announced VENICE Firmware Version 4.0 at NAB. It will be available in June, 2019.
With Version 4.0, you can purchase an optional HFR license (High Frame Rate) that takes VENICE up to:
- 120 fps in 4K Super35 2.39:1 (4096 x 1713).
- 60 fps in 6K Full Frame 3:2 (6048 x 4032).
- 72 fps in 4K Super35 4:3 for full 18mm height anamorphic (4096 x 3024).
- 110 fps in 4K Super35 17:9 (4096 x 2160).
Note, 120 fps in 2K was announced at CineGear 2018. It will not be implemented because the engineers worked real hard and were able to manage 120 fps in 4K. There’s a Starbucks on the main floor of Sony’s Atsugi Technology Center, and perhaps extra caffeine helped the VENICE engineers in this pursuit. Coming up two pages from here: we’ll visit Atsugi.
All of the High Frame Rates (except 6K 50/60p) support X-OCN recording, including X-OCN XT implemented in Version 3.0.
High Frame Rates up to 60 fps support XAVC 4K/QFHD and ProRes recording.
The HFR license can be activated with the Firmware version 4.0 upgrade. You can select a 7-day, 30-day or permanent license.
Version 4.0 will come with these features at no cost:
- Mask+Line in Frame Line menu.
- Assignable buttons on the DVF-EL200 viewfinder
- Pure Progressive HD-SDI output in 25p and 29p
- 700 Protocol for Camera Remote Control
- 700 Protocol is a camera control protocol developed by Sony. It lets you connect VENICE to a Remote Control Unit (RM-B750 or RM-B170) or RCP-1500 series Remote Control Panel for iris control, recording start/stop, clip control, paint control and so on.
VENICE Roadmap as of February 2019