Meet Masahiro Hosoi, Sony Designer of the 28-135mm f/4 Full Frame (24x36mm) Zoom Lens. It could be what you would call “disruptive technology.” How can a 35mm cine zoom have a suggested price of a mere $2,500 when it ships in December? Admittedly, it comes in Sony E-mount only (18mm flange focal depth.) It will be the “kit lens” for the new Super35mm format Sony FS-7 digital camera, and is already a darling of the full-frame (24x35mm) A7S world.
Focus can be switched from auto to manual by sliding the focus ring forward or back. A linear autofocus motor is extremely quiet–no gears to make noise. SSM (Super Sonic wave Motors) are used for quiet zooms and iris control. The 28-135 uses double aspherics — aspheric surfaces on both sides of a lens element.
- NAME: FE PZ 28-135mm F4 G OSS
- FOCAL LENGTH: 28-135 mm
- LENS GROUPS / ELEMENTS: 12 – 18
- ANGLE OF VIEW (APS-C): 54° – 12°
- ELEMENTS/GROUPS: 18 elements / 12 groups
- APERTURE: F4-22
- APERTURE BLADES: 9 blades
- MINIMUM FOCUS DISTANCE: 0.95 m (Full MF)
- MINIMUM FOCUS DISTANCE (WIDE): 0.4 m
- MINIMUM FOCUS DISTANCE (TELE): 0.95 m
- FILTER DIAMETER: 95 mm
- SIZE: Approx. 4 x 6.5″ (101.60 x 165.10 mm)
- WEIGHT: 42.86 oz (1215 g)
- Optical Image Stabilization (OSS) up to 4 stops compensation
- Powered Electric Zoom Control
Juan Martinez and Tatsuro Kurachi dream of lenses. Could they be dreaming of the next model–perhaps one that covers 18-100 mm?