One hundred years after the introduction of the Ur-Leica, Leica Camera launches their new Leica T-System today. Designed in collaboration with Audi Design, the Leica T-System is an APS-C format mirrorless camera with interchangeable lenses. I was fortunate to try it briefly at NAB. It was almost as if the spirit of Oskar Barnack was smiling down on this latest, essentially elegant Leica camera, with intuitive controls, auto focus, and sculptural design.
The Leica T (Typ 701) camera has an APS-C-size CMOS image sensor with over 16.5 megapixels (effective 16.2 MP). The menu can be customized to the user’s preferences for easier access to frequently used settings. GPS is integrated.
The unibody construction is hand crafted and machined from a single, solid block of aluminum. Its Wi-Fi module sends images to smartphones, tablets, and social media sites via the new Leica-T app which is available for iOS devices. Adobe Photoshop Lightroom is available as a free download after registering the camera on the Leica website.
Two new lenses are being introduced at the Leica T-System launch: Leica Vario-Elmar-T 18-56 mm f/3.5-5.6 ASPH and Leica Summicron-T 23 mm f/2 ASPH. More to come. The Leica M-Adapter T accepts all Leica M-Lenses produced after 1954.
Viewing is via the 3.7″ TFT LCD touchscreen monitor on the back that controls functions and uses familiar gestures.
You can also use the optional Leica Visoflex electronic viewfinder.
The Leica T-System will be available to order starting Monday, May 26th through Leica Stores, Leica Boutiques, and select Leica Dealers.
Technical Data LEICA
- Camera: Leica T (Typ 701)
- Lens mount: Leica T bayonet mount with electronic contacts between lens and camera
- Lens system: Leica T lenses
- Sensor: CMOS sensor, size APS-C (23.6 x 15.7 mm) with 16.5/16.3 million pixels (total/effective), format aspect ratio 3:2
- Resolution: JPEG: 4928 x 3264 (16 megapixels), 4272 x 2856 (12.2 megapixels), 3264 x 2160 (7 megapixels), 2144 x 1424 (3 megapixels), 1632 x 1080 (1.8 megapixel), DNG: 4944 x 3278 pixels
- Picture data file formats / compression: Selectable: JPG Superfine, JPG Fine, DNG+ JPG Superfine, DNG + JPG Fine
- Video recording format: MP4
- Video resolution / frame rates: Selectable: 1920 x 1080p, 30 fps or 1280 x 720p, 30 fps
- Storage media: 16GB internal memory; SD/SDHC/SDXC memory cards, multimedia cards
- ISO range: Automatic, ISO 100 to ISO 12500
- White balance: Automatic, presets for daylight, cloud, halogen lighting, shadow, electronic flash, two manual settings, manual color temperature setting
- Autofocus system: Contrast based
- Autofocus metering methods: Single point, multiple point, spot, face detection, touch AF
- Exposure modes: Automatic program, aperture priority, shutter speed priority, manual setting, scene exposure modes: Fully automatic, sport, portrait, landscape, night portrait, snow/beach, fireworks, candlelight, sunset
- Exposure metering: Multiple field, center weighted, spot
- Exposure compensation: ±3 EV in 1/3 EV increments
- Automatic bracketing: Three pictures in graduations up to ±3 EV, adjustable in 1/3 EV increments
- Shutter speed range: 30 s to 1/4000 s
- Picture series: Approx. 5 fps, 12 pictures with constant picture frequency, then depending on memory card properties
- Flash modes: Automatic, automatic / red eye reduction, always on, always on / red eye reduction, slow sync, slow sync / red eye reduction
- Flash exposure compensation: ±3 EV in 1/3 EV increments
- Flash synchronization: Sync time: 1/180 s
- Guide number of built-in flash unit: for ISO 100: 4.5
- Recovery time of built-in flash unit: Approx. 5 s with fully charged battery
- Monitor: 3.7″ TFT LCD , 1.3 million pixels, 854×480 per color channel
- Self timer: Selectable delay time 2 or 12s
- WLAN: Complies with IEEE 802.11b/g/n standard (standard WLAN protocol), channel 1-11, encryption method: WiFi compatible WPA / WPA2
- Power supply: Leica BP-DC13 lithium ion battery, rated voltage 7.4V, capacity 1040mAh (based on CIPA standard): approx. 400 pictures, charging time (after total discharge): approx. 160 min
- Connections: Micro USB port (2.0 High Speed), Leica flash interface with integrated connection for optional accessories; battery charging via USB connection possible with max. 1A
- Charger: Leica BC-DC13, input: AC 100-240V, 50/60Hz, automatic reversing, Output: DC 8,4V 0,65A, Weight: approx. 90 g, Dimensions: approx. 96x68x28 mm
- Body: Leica unibody solid aluminum design, two removable dummy plugs for carrying strap and other accessories, ISO flash shoe with center and control contacts for connection of more powerful external flash units, e.g. Leica SF 26, or for attaching the Leica Visoflex electronic viewfinder
- Tripod thread: A 1/4 DIN 4503 (1/4”)
- Dimensions (WxHxD): 134 x 69 x 33 mm
- Weight: Approx. 384 g / 339 g (with / without battery)
- Items supplied: Camera body, carrying strap, 2 carrying strap release pins for detaching the carrying strap, battery (Leica BP-DC13), charger (Leica BC-DC13) with 6 adapter plugs, USB cable
- Software: Adobe Photoshop Lightroom (free download after registration of camera), Leica T app for iOS (remote control and image transfer, free download from Apple App-Store)
- Cost: Under $2,000 for body
Dr. Andreas Kaufmann, Chairman of the Supervisory Board of Leica Camera AG, introduces the Leica T-System: