Sony Electronics invited 32 members of the press to Miami, Florida. The reason was to try out the new Sony α6300 E-mount APS-C format camera along with 2 new Sony G Master E-mount full frame lenses, 85mm f/1.4 and the 24-70mm f/2.8 zoom.
For both stills and motion, I found the APS-C format α6300 camera performs very well—especially with its blazingly fast autofocus (less than 0.05 second). Sony calls it “Focus at the Speed of Sight.”
RECORDING FORMAT – XAVC S/AVCHD format Ver. 2.0 compliant/MP4
- VIDEO COMPRESSION – XAVC S: MPEG-4 AVC/H.264, AVCHD: MPEG-4 AVC/H.264, MP4: MPEG-4 AVC/H.264
- AUDIO RECORDING FORMAT – XAVC S: LPCM 2ch, AVCHD: Dolby® Digital (AC-3) 2ch, Dolby Digital Stereo Creator, MP4: MPEG-4 AAC-LC 2ch
- IMAGE SIZE (PIXELS), NTSC – XAVC S 4K: 3840 x 2160 (30p/100 Mbps, 30p/60 Mbps, 24p/100 Mbps, 24p/60 Mbps), XAVC S HD: 1920 x 1080 (60p/50 Mbps, 30p/50 Mbps, 24p/50 Mbps, 120p/100 Mbps, 120p/60 Mbps), AVCHD: 1920 x 1080 (60p/28 Mbps/PS, 60i/24 Mbps/FX, 60i/17 Mbps/FH, 24p/24 Mbps/FX, 24p/17 Mbps/FH), MP4: 1920 x 1080 (60p/28 Mbps, 30p/16 Mbps), 1280 x 720 (30p/6 Mbps)
- IMAGE SIZE (PIXELS), PAL – XAVC S 4K: 3840 x 2160 (25p/100 Mbps, 25p/60 Mbps), XAVC S HD: 1920 x 1080 (50p/50 Mbps, 25p/50 Mbps, 100p/100 Mbps, 100p/60 Mbps), AVCHD: 1920 x 1080 (50p/28 Mbps/PS, 50i/24 Mbps/FX, 50i/17 Mbps/FH, 25p/24 Mbps/FX, 25p/17 Mbps/FH), MP4: 1920 x 1080 (50p/28 Mbps, 25p/16 Mbps), 1280 x 720 (25p/6 Mbps)
- HIGH FRAME RATE RECORDING – NTSC: 1920 x 1080 (24p/12 Mbps, 30p/16 Mbps), PAL: 1920 x 1080 (25p/16 Mbps)
- PICTURE PROFILE – Yes (Off / PP1-PP9) Parameters: Black level, Gamma (Movie, Still, Cine1-4, ITU709, ITU709 [800%], S-Log2, S-Log3), Black Gamma, Knee, Color Mode (Movie, Still, Cinema, Pro, ITU709 Matrix, White&Black, S-Gamut, S-Gamut3.Cine, S-Gamut3), Saturation, Color Phase, Color Depth, Detail, Copy, Reset
- MOVIE FUNCTIONS – Audio Level Display, Audio Rec Level, AF Tracking Sensitivity, AF Drive Speed, Auto Slow Shutter, HDMI info. Display (On/Off selectable), Time Code/User Bit, Picture Profile, Creative Style, Picture Effect, Rec Control, Dual Video Rec, Marker Setting, PAL/NTSC Selector, Gamma Display Assist
- COLOR SPACE – xvYCC standard (x.v.Color when connected via HDMI cable) compatible with TRILUMINOS Color
- CLEAN HDMI OUTPUT – NTSC: 3840 x 2160 (30p/24p)/1920 x 1080 (60p/24p)/1920 x 1080 (60i), YCbCr 4:2:2 8bit/RGB 8bit, PAL: 3840 x 2160 (25p)/1920 x 1080 (50p)/1920 x 1080 (50i), YCbCr 4:2:2 8bit/RGB 8bit
SONY G Master Lenses
The new FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM (model SEL2470GM) is for those seeking the highest possible optical performance for portrait, travel and event photography or even simple everyday shooting.
The new lens is built with three aspherical elements including a newly developed, extremely precise XA (extreme aspherical) element that reduces aberration and delivers high resolution throughout the entire zoom and aperture range, as well as from corner to corner. An ED (Extra-low-Dispersion) glass element and Super ED glass element keep chromatic aberration to a minimum while maximizing resolution and bokeh without any unnatural coloration.
The lens features a 9-bladed iris that maintains a near circular shape at all settings. The lens is coated with Sony’s original Nano AR coating to suppress reflections and ensure high contrast and clarity.
The new FE24-70mm F2.8 GM lens has a direct drive SSM (Super Sonic wave Motor) focusing system that uses a new set of algorithms to position the lens elements quickly and accurately. The motor is smooth and quiet, making it a good choice for shooting both still images as well as movies.
The lens is dust and moisture resistant and features a compact, streamlined design that includes AF/MF switch as well as focus hold, zoom lock and hood release buttons.
The new FE 85mm F1.4 GM prime lens (model SEL85F14GM) is an excellent portrait lens and strikes a good balance between resolution and bokeh in a compact package.
The lens features a new XA (extreme aspherical) element as well as three ED glass elements that work together to ensure that the in-focus areas are captured in extremely high resolution while the surrounding out-of-focus areas dissolve smoothly into a beautiful soft backdrop. It has a circular aperture with 11 blades – the most ever used in an α lens – to ensure that the bokeh are smooth and visually appealing. Externally, the new model has Sony’s original Nano AR Coating, which is of particular importance in a portrait lens as it reduces flare and ghosting, even with backlit subjects or similarly challenging lighting conditions.
For accurate autofocusing, the FE 85mm F1.4 GM lens includes a ring drive SSM motor system that provides ample power and speed to drive the lens’ large, heavy focus group. It’s also equipped with two position sensors to support excellent focus control of the large, heavy lens elements.
This new professional portrait lens is dust and moisture resistant and also has an aperture ring with on/off switchable click stops that can be adjusted based on whether a user is shooting still images or movies. It also has an AF / MF switch and a focus hold button.