Canon USA announced the highly anticipated successor in the EOS 5D series of DSLRs, the EOS 5D Mark IV. From a still photography standpoint, Canon has improved upon the already impressive 5D line by upgrading to a 30.4 megapixel 35mm Full Frame Canon CMOS sensor, and with the help of their new processor, the DIGIC 6+, 7 fps for up to 21 frames of RAW images and unlimited JPEGS. Combined with its new WiFi and NFC capabilities, it’s perfect for delivering quick images to local devices for upload, image selection, or preview on the fly.
The DSLR video community, which has certainly embraced Canon’s 5D line, should be very pleased by the inclusion of DCI 4K video recording at 30p or 24p, as well as a new “Dual Pixel CMOS AF” system that allows improved autofocus and tracking during videos or Live View shooting. This new autofocus system should be definitely interesting to see once it gets into the rigs for some reviews. It definitely sounds like Canon is excited about it. The new camera also allows for in-camera still frame grabs at 8.8MP from 4K video. The other output options are full HD recording up to 60p and HD up to 120p.
An interesting addition to this new DSLR is the inclusion of an LCD with full touch screen interface. The 5D Mark IVs physical design hasn’t been changed much and still features the simple and clean button layout that should make the camera feel at home in all Canon shooters hands.
The Canon EOS 5D Mark IV DSLR is currently scheduled to be available in early September 2016 for an estimated retail price of $3,499.00 for the body only. It will also be sold as part of body-and-lens kits with the EF24-70mm f/4L lens ($4,399.00, scheduled to be available early September) and the EF24-105mm f/4L IS II USM lens ($4599.00, scheduled to be available late October).
Information from Canon:
EOS 5D Mark IV DSLR Camera Specifications:
- New 30.4 Megapixel full-frame CMOS sensor for shooting in nearly any light, with ISO range 100–32,000; expandable up to 50–102,400.
- 4K Motion JPEG video (DCI cinema-type 4096 x 2160) at 30p or 24p; in-camera still frame grab of 4K 8.8-Megapixel images; multiple video options include Full HD up to 60p, and HD up to 120p.
- Recording Media: CF card, (CFast cards cannot be used), SD, SDHC and SDXC memory cards.
- Dual Pixel CMOS AF during video or Live View shooting; LCD monitor has full touch-screen interface, including selection of AF area.
- Up to 7.0 fps continuous shooting speed with high-performance DIGIC 6+ Image Processor for improved speed and image quality.
- 61 AF points with expanded vertical coverage with 41 cross-points, and AF possible at all 61 AF points with many lens + extender combinations effective at f/8.
- 150,000-pixel RGB+IR metering sensor helps provide precise exposure metering, helps detect flickering lights and allows for enhanced scene recognition and face detection capabilities.
- Dual Pixel RAW, in-camera Digital Lens Optimizer during JPEG shooting and Diffraction Correction technologies.
- Built-in Wi-Fi and NFC connectivity provide easy sharing to compatible smart devices, select social media sites and the Canon Connect Station CS100 device.
- Built-in GPS provides geotag information including auto time syncing with Universal Time Code (UTC) via satellites.
For more, visit: https://www.usa.canon.com