Seal performed at the Leica pre-Photokina press and VIP event this evening. He is an avid Leica still photographer, and spoke eloquently about how the Leica camera brings people together.
The evening began with a Leica award presented by Karin Rehn-Kaufmann to Nick Ut, who photographed the iconic 1972 picture of a girl running down a road after a napalm attack. After taking the picture, Ut took the girl and her injured siblings to a hospital in Saigon. That girl, Phan Thị Kim Phúc, is now now a UNESCO Goodwill Ambassor. She joined Nick on stage today in an eloquent discussion in which she said, “The picture controlled me, but now I can control it.”
Alfred Schopf, Stefan Daniel and Andreas Kaufmann introduced the new Leica products to be seen during Photokina. More new product announcements came in via email. They’ve been very busy in Solms. Here’s the menu.
- LEICA M: The newest digital rangefinder camera
- LEICA S: medium format
- LEICA SUPER-ELMAR-S 24 MM F/3.5 ASPH.: New super-wide lens
- LEICA ELPRO-S 180: Accessory close-up lens extends the working range of the LEICA APO-ELMAR-S 180 mm f/3.5
- LEICA VARIO-ELMAR-S 30-90 MM F/3.5-5.6 ASPH.: The first zoom lens for the S-System
- LEICA TS-APO-ELMAR-S 120 MM F/5.6 ASPH. TILT/SHIFT LENS
- LEICA M-E: M9-Lite
- ACCESSORIES FOR LEICA M
- LEICA X2 “EDITION PAUL SMITH” SPECIAL LIMITED EDITION
- LEICA V-LUX 4
- LEICA D-LUX 6 with f1.4-2.3/4.7-17.7 mm ASPH Lens